• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question How to proceed with a cloned website in plesk

llucas

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
Debian 11.9
Hello, good afternoon

We have PLESK on our server and we have cloned an instance of our website in order to test and create a new website for the Foundation where I work.

The website development team asks me, what is the best way to proceed for what is being developed new that will be definitive, replace the website we currently have?

The web development team tells me this with the doubt that if they build URL type FTP links with for example www://staging-r.... and why it is in development when the day comes to replace the new thing created to replace the old, how will the URLs remain?

What is the best way to proceed in these cases?. Or is it better to buy more advanced wp toolkit or how to proceed

Thank you for your help, I look forward to it.
Luis

We a WP site gets cloned with the Plesk WP toolkit URL's are renamed too. However it's always recommended to make a test clone first. I am also not sure about FTP links.

Thank you very much for your answer.

And in the event that the cloned copy is the definitive one. Is there any method to make the transfer easier? More than anything in case there is any tool or utility that makes the job easier.

Thank you, good day!!!
Luis

To be more specific....you can follow these steps using WP Toolkit.

1. Clone the production site. You will be promoted to create a subdomain in Plesk (staging, dev, etc.) whatever you want to call it.
2. The clone will make a complete copy of the site and when finished you will see, in Plesk, a sub domain (the clone) under your production domain
3. Login to WP on the staging domain and make the desired changes, additions, etc. and test on the staging.domain.com name
4. When satisfied the staging site is ready to go, from the staging subdomain, use the "Copy Data" tool in WP toolkit.
5. Select the production site name from the dropdown and proceed. This will copy the staging site back to the production site. The copy data step provides you with an option to create a restore point on the production site before the staging site will overlay it. Probably a good thing to do.

Hello good morning

Sorry for not answering sooner, I've been away for a few days on vacation, I'm from Spain and it was a holiday.

Thank you for answering me, I see that it is simpler than I thought. I will try the instructions you give me in a week, which is when we want to pass the cloned website as the final site.

Happy week, thanks for helping me with Plesk.
Luis

Back