• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved How to run mysql_secure_installation?

rhbk

New Pleskian
Hi all,

I tried to run "mysql_secure_installation" command on my server where Onyx is running but I always get login error because the Onyx default db user is admin and not root:

I also tried to run: "mysql_secure_installation -uadmin" but with no success.

Can anyone help me on this and tell me how to run "mysql_secure_installation" on Onyx servers?

Note: I'm running MariaDB 10.1.

Thanks

Hi rhbk,

did you try out
Code:
mysql_secure_installation  -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow`
If this doesn't work, try the installation routine without password ( just the "admin" - user ) and hit "enter", when you are ask for a password. Afterwards, pls. run the "Plesk installer" again, which now should correct your installation with the correct encrypted password. ;)

did you try out
Code:
mysql_secure_installation  -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow`
Afterwards, pls. run the "Plesk installer" again, which now should correct your installation with the correct encrypted password. ;)

The command worked perfectly! Do I now need to run the "Plesk Installer" again to correct encrypted password? Or "Plesk installer" is just needed if I did routine without password ( just the "admin" - user ) and hit "enter", when you are ask for a password?

Thanks!

Hi rhbk,

it is not essential, but after any DB - server update/upgrade, I always recommend to run at least:

Code:
plesk installer --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --reinstall-patch --install-component base

Hi rhbk,

it is not essential, but after any DB - server update/upgrade, I always recommend to run at least:

Code:
plesk installer --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --reinstall-patch --install-component base

Hi @UFHH01

Thanks again for the advice. Just 2 final questions to make sure I fully understand:

1- When I run the command "mysql_secure_installation -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow`" I did not change the database password. The only changes I made where to delete test tables, disallow outside login and on the end flush privileges. The was no update or upgrade in terms of database version. Do do you still recommend for me to run "plesk installer --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --reinstall-patch --install-component base"?

2- What exactly does the command "plesk installer --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --reinstall-patch --install-component base"? Can you explain or point any KB article?

Thanks again for all the help!

Hi rhbk,

1- When I run the command "mysql_secure_installation -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow`" I did not change the database password. The only changes I made where to delete test tables, disallow outside login and on the end flush privileges. The was no update or upgrade in terms of database version. Do do you still recommend for me to run "plesk installer --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --reinstall-patch --install-component base"?
Japp... I do.

This command still makes sure, that you installed the latest patches/upgrades/upgrades of your Plesk version which should never harm your system in any way. On the other side, this command checks as well your database - connection to the "psa" - database, which is essential, after you made any changes to your database - server ( update/upgrade/patch ).

2- What exactly does the command "plesk installer --select-product-id plesk --select-release-current --reinstall-patch --install-component base"? Can you explain or point any KB article?
Already explained above. ;)

Back