• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

How to stop qmail bounce messages

R

rihad

How to stop qmail from trying to deliver bounces because of nonexistent local addresses?

Thanks, I found it. Strangely, it's already set to "reject" for every domain I checked, but I do get a few hundred "failure notice" emails daily from plesk on my administrative email. And there's no way to cut that off in "Notifications". Plesk 9.2.3.

Example bounce I receive:
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at our.plesk.host.
I tried to deliver a bounce message to this address, but the bounce bounced!

<[email protected]>:
206.190.54.127 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 554 delivery error: dd This user doesn't have a yahoo.com account ([email protected]) [0] - mta1046.mail.re4.yahoo.com

--- Below this line is the original bounce.

Ok, I ran /opt/psa/admin/sbin/mchk --with-spam, but the failure notice emails are still coming.

Anyone, please? Failure notices have neither stopped nor slowed down.

I'm running into the same (or at least a similar problem) since I upgraded from 8.X to 9.3. PLESK is installed as the management system for multiple domain hosting on a GoDaddy Virtual Dedicated Server I run. I have low e-mail traffic and never had any problems until I upgraded the PLESK control panel to 9.3.

Almost as soon as I did that, my outbound SMTP got shut down by GoDaddy because I exceeded the limit of 1,000 messages a day. I checked all the SPAM settings (some of which seemed to have been changed by the upgrade) and ensured that every domain was set to reject messages.

That done, I am still getting cut off by GoDaddy. I dug through the mail queue, and see all these messages to and from [email protected] (GoDaddy's name for the system). These look like bounce messages that are then being bounced back and forth, driving up the SMTP count. I can't find any way to suppress these messages - even one post saying they can't be suppressed. Is this the case? Or is there a way I can stop these bounce messages to and from mailman@ip.....?

I saw one post referencing the settings in the /var/qmail/alias directory (.qmail-anonymous, .qmail-mailman, .qmail-postmaster...). They were all set to the default contact PLESK asks for, which is an e-mail address outside the server. I figured setting this to a local address might stop these bounce e-mails from going to GoDaddy's SMTP relay host. I could live with clearing them out of a local ID if it meant GoDaddy would stop shutting down by SMTP service. I tried setting them to anonymous@localhost, but that just seemed to loop the e-mails endlessly. I've now tried setting them to a local ID that I know exists, but I'm not sure whether that's working.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Deleting the file /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-mailer-daemon doesn't help: Plesk keeps recreating the file every 15 minutes or so, and there's no visible option to turn that off. What if I *don't* want it around?

doublebounceto and alias settings

Working with the GoDaddy virtual hosting systems technical lead (I want to give credit where credit is due - after the runaround I got from other techs, he stepped up to look into this), here's what we did that has taken care of the immediate problem. I think there's more work to be done to make everything work the way I'd want it do, but this has gotten rid of the excessive activity for now.

Create a file named doublebounceto in the /var/qmail/control directory. It should contain simply a "#" on the first line. That will cause qmail to discard doublebounce messages.

Following that example, I did the same to some of the files in the /var/qmail/alias directory, like .qmail-anonymous and .qmail-postmaster. I replaced the entries in the files with a "#" on the first (and only) line of the file. That got rid of some of the other messages I didn't need being delivered and/or forwarded.

I don't claim to understand qmail in detail, nor to have investigated all the implications of these steps. They work for me, for now. Hope this helps.

mgreis: I too have a GoDadday VDS and upgraded to Plesk 9.3 and had my 3,000 SMTP relay reached that day and everyday since (about 1-1/2 months). Usually by 5am or so each day. Of course GoDaddy was no help at all. Told me to look into the logs. My problem, not theirs.

So I did what you said:
Create doublebounceto and changed the .qmail-anonymous and .qmail-postmaster files (I only did those two) and from what I can tell it seems to have worked. I don't know if this is a loose work-around but at this point I was ready to leave GoDaddy. I appreciate your input into this topic!

Can you tell me how I can determine the number of emails qmail is sending/relaying in a 24 hour period? Obviously GoDaddy is monitoring this, but how do I check it for myself.

Back