• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

how to untar a backup on a windows workstation?

Sven L.

Regular Pleskian
Hello,

I have a plesk backup (several files names xyz.tar, xyz.tar1, xyz.tar2, etc.) saved to a windows computer

I recall using 7zip in the past, but I haven't done this on a windows machine in ages... how can I uncompress these files? any suggestions?

7zip can suposedly do that too...

i can actually open the first TAR with 7zip but it shows an "unexpected file end error" or something like that. which makes me believe that it reads the first file but not the next ones.

does winrar do this properly?

WinRAR provides the full RAR and ZIP file support, can decompress CAB, GZIP, ACE and other archive formats.

http://www.rarlab.com/

Abdi, as I failed to get it working with anything else, I tried it with winrar

but the same problem happens.

my backups are split into 2GB files.

none of all the unzip software I have tried so far (including winrar) seems to manage this. they can untar a single file just fine, but when there are multiple files, an error happens as it doesn't seem to recognize file .tar1 and .tar2 (the first file is simply .tar)

I have tried to rename the files in different ways, without luck

The files are split with the Linux "split" command.

try peazip as it can automatically handle split files. You may need to just rename your archives to name1.tar name2.tar or 01name.tar and 02name.tar
Also search for utilities that unsplit split files. there are a couple of methods of splitting, so if one doesn't work, another will.

Here's one example: http://www.hjsplit.org/

I solved it like this:

C:\>copy 1.tar /b + 2.tar /b + 3.tar /b total.tar

this merges all 3 tars into one.

then i can use winrar or 7zip to uncompress the tar. it still gives an error message, but all is uncompressed just fine as far as i can tell

A simple cat *.tar* > full.tar did the trick for me on a 4 parts archive.
Then tried on a 13 parts archive and it fails.

This is really annoying when you want to open a backup without uploading gigas ...

because the sort of your files is incorrect.
for example in CMD merge files by this arrange:
talashnet.com.zip
talashnet.com.zip1
talashnet.com.zip10
talashnet.com.zip11
talashnet.com.zip2
talashnet.com.zip3
and etc...

so we could correct file names then write this command in CMD :
copy *.zip* /b total.zip

Back