• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

HTTP Loopback Connections are not enabled on this server

elemental.tm

Basic Pleskian
Hi,

I have the following error on when trying to run BackupBuddy in WordPress:

HTTP Loopback Connections are not enabled on this server. You may encounter stalled or significantly delayed backups.

Click link for more info on the specific issue. Anyone know how to enable HTTP Loopback Connections? Possibly I think I should be asking how do I enable Loopback traffic as I do have the Firewall module installed...

Thanks in advance e.tm

(Running latest versions of everything on Debian 6.0.3)

Last edited:
Ok lets take BackupBuddy out of the equation for now.

How do I test to see if loopback is enabled in Debian and not being blocked by Plesk Firewall?

I have a similar setup + issue:

Plesk 10.4.4 on CentOS5, with WordPress 3.3.1 + BackupBuddy which also shows "HTTP Loopback Connections are not enabled on this server". A firewall is not installed by my ISP, and I'm using default Plesk configuration settings.

Any help from Linux admins is appreciated.

So almost a year later, and I'm still dealing with this issue.
All software has been upgraded to the lastest stable versions.
I don't get the HTTP Loopback error on domains which use a dedicated IP, I only get it with domains using a shared IP.

Editing the /etc/hosts file as suggested in this blog entry didn't work for me.

Just an FYI for anyone finding this thread while trying to solve this 'loopback connection' issue. A loopback connection is something completely made up by the author of Backup Buddy; it has nothing to do with Apache or a server configuration issue. Basically what the author wants the software to do is be able to connect to 127.0.0.1 (IPv4) or ::1 (IPv6) and request the same domain the site is running on via HTTP and have it work. This of course makes no sense because why would anyone who manages apache configs define a virtual host not only on the IP address it should be running on but also on 127.0.0.1. There's nothing to be gained by it unless you're using some kind of web application firewall or load balance in front of your blog and you want to bypass that for local connections, but if you're running a site that's at the level where such a config is necessary, I doubt you're going to be using Backup Buddy.

So if you really want to enable 'loopback connections' for your sites, you're going to have to create a virtual host setup for every site in a custom apache config and then restart apache. Plesk isn't going to do this and it's not a switch you can just turn on at the server level.

Hi,

This is actually quite simple to resole (when you know how) add the following line/s for each domain in your hosts file:

127.0.0.1 www.yourdomain.com localhost localhost.localdomain​

I believe changes should take effect immediately or you may need to reboot.

Back