• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

I can't FTP to my site. I can only SFTP.

NoelWxxx

New Pleskian
I can't FTP to my site (I am using IP address only). I can only SFTP, do you know a probably cause of that?
I guess this is to do with some sort of setting within the Plesk 11.0.9 panel that I can't find?

I use CoffeeCup Direct FTP.
It states: There was a problem connecting to your host or proxy. Please check your server settings and try again. If you are sure you have entered the correct information, please contact your network administrator or the server administrator. [7] Additional information: couldn't connect to host.

It could be something as simple as the firewall. That's probably the first thing I'd check.

You can use telnet to test if you can access your server on port 21:

Code:
telnet hostname 21

This will connect to port 21 on hostname (or you can use an IP address of ftp.domain.tld or whatever).

You'll see something like this:

Code:
# telnet hostname 21
Trying [ip address of host]...
Connected to hostname (ip address).
Escape character is '^]'.
220 ProFTPD 1.3.4a Server (ProFTPD) [ip address]

NOTE: telnet is not installed by default in Windows 7. You need to install it via the Control Panel.. I forget what, but it something related to additional programs or something like that.

I tried net2ftp.com and it did not work. I did have a colleague try from his location before that so it isn't a firewall blocking it on my PC. This was the net2ftp.com message:

An error has occured
Unable to connect to FTP server xx.xx.xxx.200 on port 21.

Are you sure this is the address of the FTP server? This is often different from that of the HTTP (web) server. Please contact your ISP helpdesk or system administrator for help.

In the ftp settings in Plesk for the website there is a setting for the FTP account name saying: "Access to the server over SSH."

There are about 8 alternative options in the drop-down which are:
forbidden
/bin/sh
/bin/bash
/sbin/nologin
/bin/tcsh
/bin/csh
/bin/bash (chrooted)
/bin/rbash

You need to choose one of them. Could this option be a cause or solution to the ftp issue?

NO, that option has nothing to do with FTP.
Howabout from SHELL, what response do you get with

#telnet hostname 21

and

#telnet yourdomain.com 21

I did a telnet to the IP address in this format: xx.xxx.xxx.xxx [21]

The response was: Could not open connection to the host on port [21]: Connect failed

I may be doing it wrong. I am logging into the server via putty and putting that instruction and I just get: command not found

You can install telnet if its not existent on your server with

yum install telnet

OK I did that and got this response:

Trying ::1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 ProFTPD 1.3.4a Server (ProFTPD) [::1]

This is the response to cat /etc/hosts (I inserted the xxxx to cover part of server name & address):

127.0.0.1 wilsxxxx.xxxxxservers.com wilsxxxx localhost.local domain localhost.localdomain localhost4 localhost4.localdomain4 localhost
::1 wilsxxxx.xxxxxservers.com wilsxxxx localhost.localdomain l ocalhost.localdomain localhost6 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost
[root@wilsxxxx ~]#

Problem solved: my hosting company took a look at it and turned off the firewall on my server and that allowed FTP. Many thanks for your help on this thread.

Back