• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Imagemagick installation together with Plesk

Dukemaster

Regular Pleskian
Hi @Peter Debik
thanks for your short but great instruction to examine imagemagick version.
By following You, I get this output on Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS, Plesk 17.5.3 #13 ):
convert -version
The program 'convert' can be found in the following packages:
* imagemagick
* graphicsmagick-imagemagick-compat
Try: apt install <selected package>
# updatedb
# locate convert | less

I really want to do it. But everything together in harmony with PLESK to avoid errors and also to have the best as possible security on the whole server system.
Can I follow the suggested instruction from APT/Ubuntu? Which means first installing imagemagick and then the second package graphicsmagick-imagemagick-compat.
Or do I have to change several things during installation, e.g. locations (directories), or other important things, perhaps in relation to PLESK?.
I would urge You and everyone who is willing to help in this case to post the instructions or tutorial in a most detailed way.

Greets

Additional information why I want to use Imagemagick, instead only the php extension/library.
It's unimportant to say, but since the last 3-4 years I've been successfully using the normal imagick library (PHP) together with communities and web galleries by Woltlab. But with the real program itself it's possible to realize so much more. Only to prevent the question why I don't use the PHP extension standalone.

Last edited:
Hi Dukemaster,

you are getting more and more fearful about possible issues/errors/problems, when expaning your server packages. Pls. don't be... there is absolutely no reason for it!
Yes, you might experience issues/errors/problems, when you administrate a server, but having backups ( or snapshots ), gives you the possibility to restore your current server installation and it's settings at ANY TIME. ;)

Just remember, that "aptiude" is always the far better choice on Debian/Ubuntu based systems, as it offers different installation options, if dependency issues appear, when you install new packages. ;)

Or do I have to change several things
No, you don't. You should experience NO ( !!! ) issues at all, when installing the packages imagemagick + graphicsmagick-imagemagick-compat on Ubuntu/Debian - based systems.:)

Right @UFHH01 it worked fine. :) But ! ! ! The two packages are standalone/different ones. By reading graphicsmagick I realized that this is a (better, faster) fork of imagemagick.
First I installed imagemagick and as I installed the second, some packages wanted to be replaced and additional installed. I think the whole Imagemagick was replaced...lol. But I accepted. Problem is the documentation. I was not able to test the simplest way with an single image.
Where to put the source image, where will it saved?
There is no real location where files will be saved and how a basic working configuration together with a webinterface is. To use it on website (perhaps PHP) as a free service.
Too much dreaming about realizing a nice, friendly webservice for free and everybody...:(
And the convert documentation is notbad, but too much for linux experts like YOU and most EXPERTS here, my friend @UFHH01

Last edited:
Back