• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

IMAP IDLE / Push Mail

Flachzange

Basic Pleskian
I am using Plesk since Version 9 in 2009. Push E-Mail (aka IMAP IDLE) is very important for us. As it was not supported by Plesk, I compiled my own courier-imap binary and linked it to the libfam library. I repeated this step for every Plesk Version since then.

I just installed 11.5.29 and it works well so far BUT IMAP IDLE still does not work!

1) Is there any way to convince Plesk 11.5.29 to enable IMAP IDLE?
2) As I guess not, where can I get the sources of the Courier IMAP version used by Plesk? By now, I always used the official courier-imap sources.
3) Why does Parallels does not compile with IMAP IDLE?

Thanks!

How to build your own Courier-IMAP and Courier-Authlib

1)
Sure. You need to explain your use case, why it is important to you and other customers.
Would be nice to provide an example of the way you configure it along with list of advantages and potential drawbacks this solution brings.
Also post your proposition here to get noticed: http://plesk.uservoice.com/

3)
I guess because it is not a widely requested feature and it requires additional work to do so.

2)
You may use official Courier-IMAP sources as well. Here's a basic guide. Note that some non-essential features may not (fully) work on your build (e.g., PCI compliance stuff).

You will need to either build both Courier-Authlib and Courier-IMAP or any of them depending on your task (I've never built with IMAP IDLE myself, so I wouldn't know). After you build, replace only the binaries you need. I suggest using configuration files and init scripts provided by Parallels. You may then adjust configuration to your needs. Don't forget to restart all Courier services afterwards (there's 5 of them now).

Grab following source archives from the official Courier site:
courier-authlib-0.65.0.tar.bz2
courier-imap-4.12.0.tar.bz2

If you need APOP support, then grab and adapt following patches from http://www.ksky.ne.jp/~setoppu2/courier-imap/apop.html:
courier-authlib-0.55-apop.patch
courier-imap-4.0.2-apop.patch

If you would be compiling authdaemond and you're on RedHat-based OS, then you'll likely either need to add support for -lockfile option to it or adjust init script to avoid using it.

Then configure and build with following base options (add your own as you need):

Courier-Authdaemon
--sysconfdir=/etc/courier-imap
--localstatedir=/var/run
--with-ipv6
--without-authuserdb
--without-authpam
--without-authldap
--without-authpwd
--without-authshadow
--without-authpgsql
--without-authmysql
--without-authsqlite
--without-authcustom
--without-authpipe
--with-authdaemonvar=/var/run/authdaemon.courier-imap

Courier-IMAP
--sysconfdir=/etc/courier-imap
--localstatedir=/var/run
--with-ipv6
--with-db=db
--with-trashquota
--without-mailuser
--enable-unicode
--enable-workarounds-for-imap-client-bugs
--enable-dependency-tracking

And that should be it!

One last warning: such self-built configuration would probably be unsupported, but you likely already know that.

Would be nice if you posted full guide once you succeed :)

Hello,

you only have to add "IDLE" to "IMAP_CAPABILITY" and set "IMAP_ENHANCEDIDLE" to "1" @/etc/courier-imap/imapd - its running very well.

But im using it @Debian

Hello,

you only have to add "IDLE" to "IMAP_CAPABILITY" and set "IMAP_ENHANCEDIDLE" to "1" @/etc/courier-imap/imapd - its running very well.

But im using it @Debian

Unfortunately this does not work for me with the courier imapd shipped with Plesk. I need to compile my own imapd. The reason is, imapd needs to be linked with libfam, which is not the case for the Plesk imapd version. You can check with "ldd imapd". Using Ubuntu over here.

Back