• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

improvments on Backup manager

hardbrasil

Regular Pleskian
Hi there,

i would like to take some doubts and suggest some improves to Backup manager.

a) i made one backup using "schedule backup" for just "User files and databases"

so the Migration result showed some issues:

no read access to: ~/vhosts/~/private folder

-> how can i put this [private] folder on exception mode? i mean, exclude from backup processes?

b) i would like to create another schedule backup, to run into different period and backup different data (eg. just emails), as i see this is not possible, would be nice to create backup instances in parallel.

c) I notice that after all backup, the files become available on customers Plesk panel. Is possible to not have this file there? Regarding that this is a admin backup, its suppose to be imperceptible to our customers...

Thanks for feedback! I would like to comment your suggestions:

a) Currently there are no way to exclude web content files or folders from backup. But you can wait it in the next release.
Now just ignore such kind of messages in the log.

b) As I understood you want to be able to create several scheduled tasks. I recommend you to add your suggestion on https://plesk.uservoice.com if it is not already there.
Currently the only workaround is to create cron task with /usr/local/psa/bin/pleskbackup

c) It is a good suggestion you can add on uservoice service. I think the reason this feature wasn't implemented is the fact that most admins want to charge users for backups even these backups was made by admin. Plesk has global setting for this purpose. But you cannot easily hide admin's backups from end users. The only way you can hide admin backup from end user is to go to the user's subscription and delete the backup. As the backup actually is a server backup and belongs to admin - it won't be deleted, but just marked as deleted for the user. It is a hiding technic over UI. You also can do the same with bash, as deletion flag is actually an empty file ignored_by_user_GUID or record ignored_by_user_GUID in the .discovered/~/props file
E.g. to hide admin backup on domain test.my you need to obtain domain GUI
plesk db "select name, guid from domains where name = 'test.my'"
+------------------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
| name | guid |
+------------------------+----------------------------------------------------------+
| test.my | A37C772D-55ED-478D-A4F5-678C029653B7 |
than create empty file
/var/lib/psa/dumps/domains/test.my/.discovered/backup_info_1603100826/ignored_by_user_A37C772D-55ED-478D-A4F5-678C029653B7

Oh, looks too hard... Don't forget to add your suggestion on uservoce

Hi Dimitry, thank you for your feedback.
i understand all your suggestion.

i already add it to Plesk suggestion tool.
thank you

Back