• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion
  • Inviting everyone to the UX test of a new security feature in the WP Toolkit
    For WordPress site owners, threats posed by hackers are ever-present. Because of this, we are developing a new security feature for the WP Toolkit. If the topic of WordPress website security is relevant to you, we would be grateful if you could share your experience and help us test the usability of this feature. We invite you to join us for a 1-hour online session via Google Meet. Select a convenient meeting time with our friendly UX staff here.

Question increasing innodb_buffer_pool_size & memory bottleneck

stas styler

Basic Pleskian
Dear pleskers!

Love your forum and platform. Plesk is my main server manager and I totally love it.
Unfortunately there are some things that are different when considering plesk installed.

I got a new server with couple of websites on it (im providing hosting).
It hosts big woo commerce websites with alot of traffic & a alot of queries probably because they import & export products.

I'm afraid the server is bottlenecked because of the mysql (maria db).
These are the specs of one of our servers (it contains a webserver + bind + reversed NGINX + mariadb on one server):
AMD EPYC 7401P
24-Core "Naples" (Zen)
Simultaneous Multithreading
128GB Ram DDR4 ECC RAM
1TB NVME SSD

MariaDB
  • Server: Localhost via UNIX socket
  • Server type: MariaDB
  • Server version: 10.1.30-MariaDB - MariaDB Server
  • Protocol version: 10
  • User: admin@localhost
  • Server charset: UTF-8 Unicode (utf8)
web server
  • nginx/1.11.10
  • Database client version: libmysql - mysqlnd 5.0.11-dev
  • PHP extension: mysqli curl mbstring
  • PHP version: 5.6.30
  • centos 7.4

I want to increase the
innodb_buffer_pool_size because it is set to 128 MiB.
I'm afraid that maybe it bottlenecks it.
last time i did it was in my.cnf file and it broke the engine... (IDK why).
Is there the right way to do this? I hope you guys can help me out, there is no way with this kind of server one of my websites runs pretty slow.

What is the output of commands:

# plesk db
mysql> show variables like 'innodb_buffer_pool%';

You will see current value of innodb_buffer_pool_size with this command.
Also, it is possible to count Recommended InnoDB Buffer Pool Size based on all InnoDB Data and Indexes with an additional 60% using the following MySQL query:

mysl> SELECT CEILING(Total_InnoDB_Bytes*1.6/POWER(1024,3)) RIBPS FROM (SELECT SUM(data_length+index_length) Total_InnoDB_Bytes FROM information_schema.tables WHERE engine='InnoDB') A;

+-------+| RIBPS |
+-------+
| 1 |
+-------+
1 row in set (0.31 sec)

For example, with this output, you would set innodb_buffer_pool_size to 1G in my.cnf configuration file.

What is the output of commands:

# plesk db
mysql> show variables like 'innodb_buffer_pool%';

You will see current value of innodb_buffer_pool_size with this command.
Also, it is possible to count Recommended InnoDB Buffer Pool Size based on all InnoDB Data and Indexes with an additional 60% using the following MySQL query:

mysl> SELECT CEILING(Total_InnoDB_Bytes*1.6/POWER(1024,3)) RIBPS FROM (SELECT SUM(data_length+index_length) Total_InnoDB_Bytes FROM information_schema.tables WHERE engine='InnoDB') A;

+-------+| RIBPS |
+-------+
| 1 |
+-------+
1 row in set (0.31 sec)

For example, with this output, you would set innodb_buffer_pool_size to 1G in my.cnf configuration file.
Wow this is awesome! Thanks.

Do you know by any chance where is it located? (im using mariadb)
If i recall its path is a bit different from the usual path?

After I set it do I need systemctl restart mariadb?

You can fine tune your database with mysqltuner perl script. Google for that.
Sometime it's a big help, and you can sort out the bottlenecks very easy.

Back