• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forwarded to devs Incremental Backup: does not work quite as intended!

omexlu

Regular Pleskian
User name: omexlu

TITLE

Incremental Backup: does not work quite as intended!

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Version: Plesk Obsidian v18.0.23_build1800200123.10 os_Debian 8.0
OS Debian 8.11
ALL UP TO DATE

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

Since the update to plesk 18.0.23 I noticed something:
- Some of my incremental backups are significantly larger, otherwise always around 100MB now 21GB.
- Clearly no major changes or files have been changed or added to the web hosting.
- I even opened the backup archive of today manually and there are files there that have been there for a long time.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

Simply let the backup function run as set:
- Once a week fullback, otherwise incremental.

ACTUAL RESULT

More files backed up in incremental that are not new to the previous day.

EXPECTED RESULT

Finding a solution or looking for an bug in the backup-system, there must be an bug somewhere because I never had this problem before v23.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Detailed problem can be found in this thread:

This was done as the user says, but seems to work only partially:
Issue - Incremental Backup!!

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Confirm bug

Then I am not the only one or crazy :)

All following backups were correct again (i.e. the incremental ones).

Tomorrow there will be a fullbackup again and then I can report on Thursday how it looks like.

But there seems to be a problem where the devs should look over the code, not that it is worse than expected.

Hello,

Small feedback, it really seems to be only once after the update to v23.

Anyway, everything seems to work as usual again.

Thanks again to all involved.

After that I updated the last version 18.0.23 #2, I alway receive these errors when is generated a backup (I've tried to delete it and generate new one but alway the same errors):
Code:
Warning: Server "<mymaindomain>"
Not all the data from /etc/fail2ban was backed up successfully: action.d: Warning: Cannot stat: No such file or directory filter.d: Warning: Cannot stat: No such file or directory jail.d: Warning: Cannot stat: No such file or directory jail.conf: Warning: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
Warning: Extension "LVE Manager"
Unable to back up data. Error: Failed to create archive: Transport error: File or dir not exists
Warning: Extension "CageFS"
Unable to back up data. Error: Failed to create archive: Transport error: File or dir not exists

Yes, it's two different issue.
Maybe @MicheleB Could you report it?
I have another report to submit.
This version is buggy 18.23 #2 specially with Cloudlinux.

Yes, I confirm that it's a problem with CloudLinux and the last Plesk update 18.0.23 #2.
I've opened a ticket directly with the CloudLinux technical support and now I'm waiting the "Level 3 support department for further assistance" because level 1 and 2 have not found the solution. They told me will check within one business day (hoping it's a problem that can be solved by them and not by Plesk technicians...).

Warning: Server "<mymaindomain>" Not all the data from /etc/fail2ban was backed up successfully: action.d: Warning: Cannot stat: No such file or directory filter.d: Warning: Cannot stat: No such file or directory jail.d: Warning: Cannot stat: No such file or directory jail.conf: Warning: Cannot stat: No such file or directory Warning: Extension "LVE Manager" Unable to back up data. Error: Failed to create archive: Transport error: File or dir not exists Warning: Extension "CageFS" Unable to back up data. Error: Failed to create archive: Transport error: File or dir not exists
These are known issues in Backup Manager that shall be fixed soon.

I don't know if I have the same issue, but impossible to make any backup in our server, complete o incremental and automatic or manual, it's fail! I also use cloudlinux 7

I don't know if I have the same issue, but impossible to make any backup in our server, complete o incremental and automatic or manual, it's fail! I also use cloudlinux 7

Unfortunately Obsidian and CloudLinux don't get along very well. Every Plesk update is a nightmare with CloudLinux. At the moment I've issues with backup, WordPress Toolkit (issues with Mod_Isapi), SSL certificate (CloudLinux 7.7 is missing of TLS 1.3), autodiscover email that not works (impossible to set the correct imap/smtp ports and the correct authentication, e.g. STARTTLS instead of SSL).... we can only wait...

Last edited:
Unfortunately Obsidian and CloudLinux don't get along very well. Every Plesk update is a nightmare with CloudLinux. At the moment I've issues with backup, WordPress Toolkit (issues with Mod_Isapi), SSL certificate (CloudLinux 7.7 is missing of TLS 1.3), autodiscover email that not works (impossible to set the correct imap/smtp ports and the correct authentication, e.g. STARTTLS instead of SSL)... we can only wait...
We have only problem with backup, autodiscover work fine in our case, but the backup problem is very very critical, I am trying to process it by ssh, because by gui it fail (complete or incremental)!

Fail by ssh also, bufffff!!!

[2020-02-07 15:05:41.490] ERR [panel] Call to a member function getErrorObjects() on null:
0: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/backup/PleskBackup/HelperTrait.php:113
cuPleskBackup->isBackupFinished(string '5180', string '/usr/local/psa/PMM/sessions/2020-02-07-145014.711/migration.result', string 'error', array)
1: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/backup/PleskBackup/HelperTrait.php:58
cuPleskBackup->doBackup(string 'server', array, array)
2: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/api-common/cuPleskBackup.php:70
cuPleskBackup->_serverCommand(NULL null, string '', NULL null, NULL null, NULL null, NULL null, NULL null, NULL null, NULL null, NULL null, NULL null, NULL null, NULL null, NULL null, NULL null, NULL null, NULL null, NULL null, NULL null, NULL null, NULL null, NULL null, NULL null, NULL null, NULL null, NULL null, NULL null, NULL null, NULL null, NULL null, NULL null, NULL null, NULL null)
3: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/api-common/cuApp.php:79
cuApp->_callCommandMethod(array)
4: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/api-common/cuApp.php:73
cuApp->_executeCommand()
5: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/api-common/cuApp.php:53
cuApp->runFromCliGate()
6: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/api-common/CuExecutor.php:69
CuExecutor->execUtil(string 'cuPleskBackup', string 'runFromCliGate')
7: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/api-common/CuExecutor.php:131
CuExecutor->run()
8: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/api-cli/CliUtilityRunner.php:25
CliUtilityRunner->run()
9: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/api-cli/CliUtilityRunner.php:34
require_once(string '/usr/local/psa/admin/plib/api-cli/CliUtilityRunner.php')
10: /usr/local/psa/admin/plib/api-cli/pleskbackup.php:4
ERROR: Error: Call to a member function getErrorObjects() on null (HelperTrait.php:113)
exit status 1

I have also contact cloudlinux team and hope that they can give us an solution, but please plesk team, we need you to review ASAP this big big bug!

Issue Resolved on my end but I can't confirm at your end.

User name: omexlu

TITLE

Incremental Backup: does not work quite as intended!

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Version: Plesk Obsidian v18.0.23_build1800200123.10 os_Debian 8.0
OS Debian 8.11
ALL UP TO DATE

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

Since the update to plesk 18.0.23 I noticed something:
- Some of my incremental backups are significantly larger, otherwise always around 100MB now 21GB.
- Clearly no major changes or files have been changed or added to the web hosting.
- I even opened the backup archive of today manually and there are files there that have been there for a long time.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

Simply let the backup function run as set:
- Once a week fullback, otherwise incremental.

ACTUAL RESULT

More files backed up in incremental that are not new to the previous day.

EXPECTED RESULT

Finding a solution or looking for an bug in the backup-system, there must be an bug somewhere because I never had this problem before v23.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

Detailed problem can be found in this thread:

This was done as the user says, but seems to work only partially:
Issue - Incremental Backup!!

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Confirm bug
It's a bug in Plesk Obsidian that takes forever to be fixed. Mail postboxes are being backed up in full instead of changes, that's why the backup's are so large, even if the user selects incremental backup. So incremental backup is not working!.

Back