• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Installation without NGINX component

cytslm

New Pleskian
Hello everyone!
My first message in the forum, I hope to do well and that you can help me :)

I have a virtual machine on HYPER-V in which I am trying to install Plesk without the NGINX module since I would like everything to be served by Apache.

Product version: Plesk Obsidian 18.0.32.2
OS version: Ubuntu 20.04 x86_64
Build date: 2020/12/21 13:00

I have run into the following problem:

During the installation process via CLI I remove the NGINX component and installation finishes without problems. BUT, when I access the GUI for the first time to finish the installation (password, email, license ...) this part stays all the time thinking about Initializing Plesk ... and it never ends, it has been several hours and nothing.

I redeploy a VM and this time I do not remove the NGINX component when installing Plesk via CLI and both the installation and the first configuration (initialization) finish without problem.

Is the NGINX component required for Plesk initialization? Are there any recognized bugs about this? Let's see if you can get me out of doubt.

Once I have Plesk installed and running with the NGINX component (because without it the initialization does not finish ...) I have been able to stop the service and even uninstall it by running the installation again via CLI.

But I don't know, it seems strange to me that in the first installation I get that problem if I don't install the NGINX component.

Thank you very much for your time!

Hello!

Well my question is why the installation does not finish (does not initialize) when I install Plesk without the nginx component.

Install it with it and then run the installer again to uninstall it, is there a problem?

Ideally it would be first, but I have that problem.

Thank you!

It never occured to me to omit Nginx in a Plesk installation, so I don't know if there is a bug or not. However, I'd always stick to the defaults as far as possible. I don't understand why Plesk should not start when Nginx is not installed, because Plesk brings its own (modified) Nginx web server, which has nothing to do with the web webserver for domains. If Plesk does not start, either sw-cp-server or sw-engine would be the primary target for futher analysis. But Nginx as a reverse proxy for Apache really does not influence these. Maybe the installation has a bug, maybe not. If you believe you found a bug, you can report it here:

My suggestion as a standard procedure, if you do not want to use Nginx, is to install Nginx, then not to remove it, but to disable it with
# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/nginxmng -d
This will let Plesk use Apache only.

It never occured to me to omit Nginx in a Plesk installation, so I don't know if there is a bug or not. However, I'd always stick to the defaults as far as possible. I don't understand why Plesk should not start when Nginx is not installed, because Plesk brings its own (modified) Nginx web server, which has nothing to do with the web webserver for domains. If Plesk does not start, either sw-cp-server or sw-engine would be the primary target for futher analysis. But Nginx as a reverse proxy for Apache really does not influence these. Maybe the installation has a bug, maybe not. If you believe you found a bug, you can report it here:

My suggestion as a standard procedure, if you do not want to use Nginx, is to install Nginx, then not to remove it, but to disable it with
# /usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/nginxmng -d
This will let Plesk use Apache only.
Thanks, I will disable the nginx module

Back