• The new Python extension is now available. It allows customers to deploy and manage WSGI-based Python applications on their websites directly from Plesk.
  • Debian 11 has reached its end-of-life (vendor EOL date - August 31, 2026). Plesk Obsidian 18.0.81 is the last release to support it.
    If you are running Plesk Obsidian on Debian 11, we recommend you upgrade those servers to Debian 12 using our dist-upgrade tool.
  • We plan to deprecate and remove the support for XML RPC protocol versions earlier than 1.6.9.1 in Plesk Obsidian 18.0.82. We strongly recommend that you update all existing integrations using earlier versions of the XML RPC protocol to comply with the version 1.6.9.1 specification.

iptables Allow Traceroute

C

Chris

Guest
I did some searching here and I found a thread with a good Plesk-friendly iptables script. That script is located here:
http://www.sbctec.com/firewall/iptables.txt

It is working nicely. The only problem for me is that it doesn't allow outside traceroutes to the server. How can I modify that script to allow outside traceroutes successfully?
 
If you want to allow all ICMP -

IPTABLES -A INPUT -p icmp -j ACCEPT

If it's just traceroute you need, but not the rest, then specify

IPTABLES -A INPUT -p icmp --icmp-type 8 -j ACCEPT
 
Thanks, but that didn't seem to help. Added to the script and no change.

I should mention I can ping okay but traceroutes to the server are timing out at the last hop for some reason.
 
Ok, i've been up too late again, change your --icmp-type to 8

I know this is for Echo-reply, but once this is enabled, traceroute works....

According to all the literature, traceroute should be related to types 11 and 30, but I just did testing with one server and only got traceroute when I enabled type 8.
 
Hmm... still no good. I tried positioning it at various points in the script but nothing worked. Traceroutes always start timing out at the last hop. If I type iptables -F the traceroute immediatly completes, so I know it's something in that script that's blocking them.

One oddity I've discovered: It looks like traceroutes from Windows machines will go through fine, but traceroutes from Linux machines timeout at the last hop.
 
Back
Top