• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

IPv6

Why would you want to show your IPv6 a different site than your IPv4 customers? That doesn't make sense.. most of your visitors don't have any control over what IP protocol they use to visit your site.

IgorG,

For the very reason google any everyone runs separate ipv6 sites. If you pipe all ipv6 traffic just to the same address and site anyone with routing issues gets a dead site not found error.

Why else does ipv6.google.com, and many others?

I agree in the future you just co-host, but your assuming everyone has fully functional ipv6, tall ask. How many people I have helped set up tunnels as they could not access ipv6.google.com. Worse other that had ipv6 and could not access certain sites without disabling ipv6 as poor routing using crappy 6to4 preying your getting a good route.

Why else does YouTube and everyone not just publish AAAA records that very reason. Facebook says a million users get cut out.

How to do it separate? Damn simple.

DNS record each domain of ipv6.domain.com with AAAA address
Add ns1 and ns2 ipv6 address
add vhost for each domain kicking the ipv6 address into a separate dir. On my server for ease creating stuff I used domain / httpdocs/httpdocs-ipv6

This way the FTP user can access it.

Yes I could have made up higher a httpdocs-ipv6, but root has to create it, then chown and chcon way too much.

But do not just implement kicking ip6 users to the existing httpdocs, that's suicide. Your assuming everyone has got fully working ipv6, that's anbig assumption.

Why else for world ipv6 day are google and others just for 24 hours publishing an AAAA record for the existing domains - same reason expect to see a million cut off!

Treat it like https you can co host in the existing httpdocs if your crazy, or separate.

It's not hard implementing.

I am happy to help!!!

I got ipv6 now on 24 domains, fully pass hurricane electrics tests, email, httpd and even glue records. I am in no rush to implement a bad force everyone to ipv6 and prey - no way, leave it as it is I got it working.

But look at the Internet in general, no one co hosts, everyone runs ipv6, or some extension to distinguish. This is the only ipv6 implementation that will work. Lookmin the domestic field, name one asl modem that supports native ipv6? Everyone uses 6to4 or tunnels, but 6to4 has big routing issues. I tried it and went to tunnel.

Ipv6 is great but needs to be carefully implemented not just jump fully in and prey.

Last edited:
Hello,

We've sent preview invitations to everyone who expressed their will to join in this thread. Hope to see your feedback soon.

Regards

thanks Sergey i ll try to setup a testserver this weekend.

Hello,

We've sent preview invitations to everyone who expressed their will to join in this thread. Hope to see your feedback soon.

Regards

Could you sent us an invitation also? We would like to test ipv6 and Plesk.

Hello proserve-maarten, the invitation is sent.

BTW, yesterday we updated the repo and now the 2nd preview build is put there. So anyone performed the installation before yesterday is encouraged to try newer installation from the same location (no upgrade supported for the preview).
We'll appreciate your feedback.

Hello proserve-maarten, the invitation is sent.

BTW, yesterday we updated the repo and now the 2nd preview build is put there. So anyone performed the installation before yesterday is encouraged to try newer installation from the same location (no upgrade supported for the preview).
We'll appreciate your feedback.

Thanks! I have installed the preview version, and so far it is looking good.

That's good! :)
Yet if any problems are noticed, we would appreciate them reported before the release, so that we can fix them.

Regards

I am glad to inform you that 10.2 IPv6 preview is now available for public access. You don't have to be a partner of Parallels, anyone can download it (obtaining 2 week trial key is offered after installation). Any sort of feedback is appreciated.

Please note that until released, 10.2 is not yet served by Parallels Support. All problems need to be reported on the forum or via feedback form provided on the site.

Looking forward for your feedback

will qmail also support ipv6 or only with postfix ?

(sorry i have no test server at the moment to test this myself)

There are still some problems with IPv6 in the current version 10.2.0. What I've noticed so far:

1. It's not possible to add PTR records for IPv6 addresses
2. The IPv6 firewall rule for the Ping service is not getting correctly translated to an ICMPv6 rule in ip6table.
3. It's not possible to distinguish between IPv6 and IPv4 in the firewall rule editor - I think it should be possible to decide whether a rule should apply to only one or both of them.

Could you tell more on how you will be managing reverse zones (PTR)? Which network class will you assign?
Adding PTR record even in Plesk even for IPv4 would only be meaningful if you are owner of /24 network which we consider a rare case. For IPv6 it is assumed that reverse zone is managed by provider, rather than by Plesk admin.

Its common for ipv6 providers to give you a /48 that you can divide into many /64

Most of the providers do allow you to handle reverse lookups. Certainly with my /48 I do have reverse lookup capability. The supplier can do this but I have option of handling reverse lookups. It's different to ipv4 where 99.99 percent the provider does RNDS. But for ipv6 certainly at the /48 or even /64 level your expected to be able to do it.

It therefore would be worthwhile plesk allows PTR. I actually wrote my own reverse zone by hand for my /64 I made from the /48.

I know most ISPs are just going to hand out /64 as it's useless trying to handle smaller subnets, certainly for multiple ip users.

See here is a lookup, as you can see the provider delegfates to me for the reverse lookup.

Reverse DNS for 2001:470:859a:1:0:0:0:6

Preparation:
The reverse DNS entry for an IPv6 is found by reversing the IPv6, adding it to "ip6.arpa", and looking up the PTR record.
So, the reverse DNS entry for 2001:470:859a:1:0:0:0:6 is found by looking up the PTR record for
6.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.1.0.0.0.A.9.5.8.0.7.4.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa.
All DNS requests start by asking the root servers, and they let us know what to do next.
See How Reverse DNS Lookups Work for more information.

How I am searching:
Asking i.root-servers.net for 6.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.1.0.0.0.A.9.5.8.0.7.4.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa PTR record:
i.root-servers.net says to go to f.ip6-servers.arpa. (zone: ip6.arpa.)
Asking f.ip6-servers.arpa. for 6.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.1.0.0.0.A.9.5.8.0.7.4.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa PTR record:
f.ip6-servers.arpa [193.0.9.2] says to go to NS2.HE.NET. (zone: 0.7.4.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa.)
Asking NS2.HE.NET. for 6.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.1.0.0.0.A.9.5.8.0.7.4.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa PTR record:
ns2.he.net [216.218.131.2] says to go to ns2.idb.com.au. (zone: a.9.5.8.0.7.4.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa.)
Asking ns2.idb.com.au. for 6.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.1.0.0.0.A.9.5.8.0.7.4.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa PTR record: Reports ipv6.aus-city.com. [from 203.206.129.141]

Answer:
2001:470:859a:1:0:0:0:6 PTR record: ipv6.aus-city.com. [TTL 38400s] [AAAA=2001:470:859a:1:0:0:0:6]

So yes plesk does need the ability to add PTR for ipv6.

Cheers,
David

Last edited:
IgorG,

No problem. I could provide you my actual PTR record off the server. Naturally for a plesk 'update' it would have to create these from existing forward AAAA records. I created mine manually and edited the named.conf file to use the reverse database for the /64.

Cheers,
David

3. It's not possible to distinguish between IPv6 and IPv4 in the firewall rule editor - I think it should be possible to decide whether a rule should apply to only one or both of them.

Firewall has an option to set allowed source IPs and by default is set into <any host> value. Would you mean here option to have <any ipv4 host> / <any ipv6 host> values? Or would you need to set whether rule is applied to a local IPv6 or local IPv4 interfaces?

Back