• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

IPv6

2. The IPv6 firewall rule for the Ping service is not getting correctly translated to an ICMPv6 rule in ip6table.

Could you show what is wrong there? What kind of rule would you expect? May be an example...

qmail not working over ipv6

I'm really happy with the IPv6 support in 10.2. Everything seems to be integrated really well. I just have one issue, which is that the qmail ports (25/465/587) are not available on our IPv6 test system. It's probably not really a Plesk-related error, but I have no clue where to look. It's a CentOS 5 container on a Virtuozzo server that was upgraded from 9.5 -> 10.0 -> 10.1 -> 10.2.

I'm really happy with the IPv6 support in 10.2. Everything seems to be integrated really well. I just have one issue, which is that the qmail ports (25/465/587) are not available on our IPv6 test system. It's probably not really a Plesk-related error, but I have no clue where to look. It's a CentOS 5 container on a Virtuozzo server that was upgraded from 9.5 -> 10.0 -> 10.1 -> 10.2.

Turns out we had to add 'FLAGS = IPv6' to the xinetd configuration for the smtp services.

Ping ipv6 interface

Hi I have a problem with plesk panel 10.2.

I have it installed on a Centos 5.5.

I can ping the ipv6 interface from the same network that plesk, but when a customer of another network other than try to ping the ipv6 interface gives the error timeout for this request.

I hope I can help and thanks for everything.

Hi I have a problem with plesk panel 10.2.

I have it installed on a Centos 5.5.

I can ping the ipv6 interface from the same network that plesk, but when a customer of another network other than try to ping the ipv6 interface gives the error timeout for this request.

I hope I can help and thanks for everything.

It looks like you don't have a default gateway set. Are you using stateless autoconfiguration or manual configuration?

Check your routing table with netstat -A inet6 -r

I use a manual configuration with dual stack and the interface ipv4 if you take a gateway, but in the plesk admin panel is not where you configure the gateway.

Also when I edit the files with the configuration of two stacks and restart the network disappears ipv6. And I have to repair on the plesk ipv6.

Last edited by a moderator:
Firewall has an option to set allowed source IPs and by default is set into <any host> value. Would you mean here option to have <any ipv4 host> / <any ipv6 host> values? Or would you need to set whether rule is applied to a local IPv6 or local IPv4 interfaces?

Well, I thought maybe something like "allow ping on IPv4, but not on IPv6", so both option would be nice. Maybe it would be nice to make it possible to choose the destination (and protocol - currently only TCP and UDP can be selected) freely? So if I've more than one IP address, i could create individual rules for each one of them.

Last edited:
Okay, if I set Ping to allowed in Plesk ... I would expect an ICMPv6 rule:
ACCEPT icmpv6 anywhere anywhere

Perhaps I don't understand something in your request.

If Ping is allowed in Plesk we put the following rules
ACCEPT ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere ipv6-icmp type 128 code 0
ACCEPT ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere ipv6-icmp type 129 code 0
These are message types (128 and 129) actually responsible for Ping. If you prohibit Ping, Plesk will add DROP rules for these ICMP message types:
DROP ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere ipv6-icmp type 128 code 0
DROP ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere ipv6-icmp type 129 code 0

Could you clarify what you think is wrong with "ping" configuration here?

Regards

Well, I thought maybe something like "allow ping on IPv4, but not on IPv6", so both option would be nice. Maybe it would be nice to make it possible to choose the destination (and protocol - currently only TCP and UDP can be selected) freely? So if I've more than one IP address, i could create individual rules for each one of them.

I see. Could you tell more about goal of such fine-grained configuration? Some samples maybe. I would assume it may be required if Plesk is used as sort of Webmin (server configuration panel), but I wonder whether they may some use for hosting needs too...

ACCEPT ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere ipv6-icmp type 128 code 0
ACCEPT ipv6-icmp anywhere anywhere ipv6-icmp type 129 code 0

This is not what I get on my system (Ubuntu 8.04), I get what I've previously posted:

ACCEPT udp anywhere anywhere
ACCEPT tcp anywhere anywhere

Could this be because some older Linux versions are not supporting the type or code for ICMPv6 (I think I've read this somewhere)?

Okay, maybe you are not supporting IPv6 on Ubuntu 8.04, but ICMPv6 in ip6tables seems to be the only thing not working right. Wouldn't it be possible to implement a fallback rule for older systems, other than the one I'm currently getting?

Hello again,

I've done a dist upgrade to 10.04 and updated Plesk to 10.3.1. The ip6tables accepts the new icmpv6 subtypes now, but Plesk is still not providing them. Is there a trick to tell plesk it is working now?

Thanks and Regards,
BoMbY

After upgrading to Plesk 10.3.1 my server was reachable via ipv6.
Hoewever, after applying the Plesk firewall rules, my server was not reachable via ipv6 anymore. Ping didn't work anymore and ports where blocked. So there must be some sort of buggy firewall rule that doesn't work on my server, but I couldn't trace it yet.
Strato has an ipv6 manual and they suggest the following basic firewall settings, which work fine with ping and port 80:
Code:
/sbin/ip6tables -P INPUT DROP
/sbin/ip6tables -P OUTPUT DROP
/sbin/ip6tables -A INPUT -i eth0 -p icmpv6 -j ACCEPT
/sbin/ip6tables -A OUTPUT -o eth0 -p icmpv6 -j ACCEPT
/sbin/ip6tables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
/sbin/ip6tables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 80 -j ACCEPT
/sbin/ip6tables -A INPUT -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
/sbin/ip6tables -A OUTPUT -m state --state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
/sbin/ip6tables -A INPUT -j REJECT
/sbin/ip6tables -A OUTPUT -j REJECT
This firewall rules are working fine so I just added similar lines with the other ports and it is working for now.
Strato also warned that in- and outgoing ICMPv6-traffic should not be blocked.

I hope the developers can find which rule makes the difference and repare the bug so it works for this setup too.
Maybe it is a good idea, if it were possible to add custom firewall rules which are added after the Plesk firewall rules?
Thanks.

Last edited:
Back