• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Is a manual change of the Postfix SMTP banner persistent?

Yves Vogl

Basic Pleskian
Hi,

I'm operating Plesk Onyx behind a NAT firewall and have assigned a public IP address to the internal IP address as outlined in the documentation.

But I do not want to change the hostname of the server to the PTR of the public IP address as the FQDN of the machine should correspond to its PTR of the internal (private) IP.

As „myhostname“ is derived from the local hostname of the machine, this leads to a HELO/PTR banner mismatch.
As outlined in the KB, the value can be changed with postconf:

How to change Postfix SMTP banner

My question is: is this persistent of are there some cases where Plesk will override this custom setting so that I need to take care of reapplying it?

Hi Yves Vogl,

in case of the Plesk Repair Utility ( => Plesk Repair Utility ) usage, it might be as well, that new configuration files ( based on your vendor postfix version ) are being installed, which will replace your current postfix configuration files.

Back