• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Is it possible to enable automatic updates of plugins and themes in the Wordpress Toolkit?

Tomek

Regular Pleskian
Is it possible to enable automatic updates for plugins and themes in the Wordpress Toolkit?

Second question. In features coming in next Plesk Onyx 17.8 Wordpress Toolkit, I see this:

"Smart updates (check if update fails before updating the production instance) – Pro feature."

What does "Pro feature" mean?

Last edited:
Is it possible to enable automatic updates for plugins and themes in the Wordpress Toolkit?

Hi Tomek,

We are researching this ability right now. To make it happen, we want to understand which scenarios are typical for automatic plugin/theme updates:

1. I want to automatically update all plugins/themes on a particular WordPress instance.
2. I want to automatically update a particular plugin or theme on all WordPress instances.
3. I want to automatically update a particular plugin or theme on a particular WordPress instance.

We would love if you and other readers would share their opinion about which scenario above is the most typical/critical for you, what is the reasoning behind it, and which scenarios are rarer and not particularly desirable. Right now we'd like to avoid scenario #3 in particular because it will lead to overly complex UI/UX that will definitely confuse those people who want simpler scenarios.

Regarding your second question: "Pro" feature means it needs to be bought separately.

Hi custer,

thanks for the reply :)

I want to automatically update all plugins and themes on all Wordpress installations.

Wordpress has automatic security update enabled by default, so wordpress updates are not a big problem. But update plugins and themes are big problems.

Non-updated plugins and themes are the main cause of hacked my clients Wrdopress sites and blogs. That's why I want to use automatic updates strategy for themes and plugins.

The possibility of automatic updating of all Wordpress plugins and themes is the reason No. 1 for which I am interested Plesk and I am a bit disappointed that this will not be the core function.

But I understand that. I only hope that the license will be per server not per wordpress isntalations.

Last edited:
Hi Tomek,

We are researching this ability right now. To make it happen, we want to understand which scenarios are typical for automatic plugin/theme updates:

1. I want to automatically update all plugins/themes on a particular WordPress instance.
2. I want to automatically update a particular plugin or theme on all WordPress instances.
3. I want to automatically update a particular plugin or theme on a particular WordPress instance.

We would love if you and other readers would share their opinion about which scenario above is the most typical/critical for you, what is the reasoning behind it, and which scenarios are rarer and not particularly desirable. Right now we'd like to avoid scenario #3 in particular because it will lead to overly complex UI/UX that will definitely confuse those people who want simpler scenarios.

@custer (and @Tomek)

It is not recommended to update themes or plugins automatically, for the simple reasons that

a) it often is the case that (on the one hand) themes/plugins are upgraded properly and (on the other hand) applications are broken due to bad or conflicting code, (and)
b) every now and then, a manual update of the WP database is required (read: automation is not possible)

and these are known pitfalls (or "challenges", if you will) with the wp-cli tool.

It would be rather more easy to have a look at the efficiency of the WPT, which has some pitfalls.

Some examples of this are given below:

a) in the plugins or themes tab of the WPT, one sees all the plugins/themes and there is no distinction between plugins/themes to be upgraded and those that are not: it should be possible to have an overview of only plugins or themes that have to be updated, with one button to update them all at the same time,

b) if I am not mistaken, the WPT (i.e. wp-cli tool) is now running in individual processes/batches: in order to increase efficiency and speed, it should really be possible to run multiple processes synchronously (without allowing operations at the same time on one specific WP instance),

and maybe more examples can be given by other people.

I certainly hope that the above helps a bit in designing the future of the WPT.

Regards.....

@custer (and @Tomek)

It is not recommended to update themes or plugins automatically, for the simple reasons that

a) it often is the case that (on the one hand) themes/plugins are upgraded properly and (on the other hand) applications are broken due to bad or conflicting code, (and)
b) every now and then, a manual update of the WP database is required (read: automation is not possible)

and these are known pitfalls (or "challenges", if you will) with the wp-cli tool.

It would be rather more easy to have a look at the efficiency of the WPT, which has some pitfalls.

Some examples of this are given below:

a) in the plugins or themes tab of the WPT, one sees all the plugins/themes and there is no distinction between plugins/themes to be upgraded and those that are not: it should be possible to have an overview of only plugins or themes that have to be updated, with one button to update them all at the same time,

b) if I am not mistaken, the WPT (i.e. wp-cli tool) is now running in individual processes/batches: in order to increase efficiency and speed, it should really be possible to run multiple processes synchronously (without allowing operations at the same time on one specific WP instance),

and maybe more examples can be given by other people.

I certainly hope that the above helps a bit in designing the future of the WPT.

Regards.....

Hi trialotto :)

Yes, I know that this update strategy can sometimes cause problems.

But I think that in the longer perspective, it's the best solution.

I did some small tests (20 installations), and they are promising. Now I am going to implement this strategy for each new installation.

I was also considering the second scenario. Use this free plugin:
MainWP WordPress Manager

It has a free add-on that checks if any of the Wordpress installations have an installed plugins or themes with Vulnerability. Then this plugin allows you to update these plugins and themes.

But in this case I would have to install this plugin every time on new Wordpress installation.

Secondly, in my humble opinion, you can not get away from the atomatic updates of all plugins and themes in the future.

Last edited:
@Tomek,

You stated

It has a free add-on that checks if any of the Wordpress installations have an installed plugins or themes with Vulnerability. Then this plugin allows you to update these plugins and themes.

and I have to say that most "WP Managers" AND "WP Vulnerability plugins" are not up to the task they intend to do, some of them are even a security risk themselves!

In any case, it is highly recommended to use WAF (Web Application Firewall), in order to reduce the risk of exposure to security threats.

It might cost some money, but it really is worth it.

With respect to the statement

Secondly, in my humble opinion, you can not get away from the atomatic updates of all plugins and themes in the future.

I can only say that you have to be aware of the fact that the WP community has been trying this for many (many) years now, without any real success.

The main pitfall with WordPress is that it is relying on a community providing plugins and themes........... and often code is not good enough to support automatic updates.

I would really recommend to you personally to NOT enable "full automatic updating features", since you will have a problem sooner or later: you do not want to be the sysadmin of the server(s) that exhibit the feared white screen when an automatic update fails.

Regards.....

Thank you @trialotto , you have very good points :)

@Tomek,
and I have to say that most "WP Managers" AND "WP Vulnerability plugins" are not up to the task they intend to do, some of them are even a security risk themselves!

I will pay attention to this.

@Tomek,

In any case, it is highly recommended to use WAF (Web Application Firewall), in order to reduce the risk of exposure to security threats.

Unfortunately, it does not change fact, that the Wordpress with plugins and themes not updated for a long time is still a problem. WAF is not a problem solver hir.

@Tomek,
The main pitfall with WordPress is that it is relying on a community providing plugins and themes........... and often code is not good enough to support automatic updates.

This is also the reason why Wordpress and Woocommerce power up half of the internet.
That's why I can understand and forgive this:)

@Tomek,

I would really recommend to you personally to NOT enable "full automatic updating features", since you will have a problem sooner or later: you do not want to be the sysadmin of the server(s) that exhibit the feared white screen when an automatic update fails.

You are absolutely right. That's why smart updates (check if update fails before updating the production instance) is a great idea from the Wordpress Toolkit team.

Best wishes,
Tomek

Last edited:
Hi @Kingsley,

Yes, you can do it with jetpack.

"Feature Detail
  • Turn auto-updates on or off with one click.
  • Activate auto-updates on a per-site basis, or in bulk for all of your WordPress sites.
  • Install, activate, de-activate, and delete plugins in bulk across multiple sites.
  • Get notifications of new releases, successful updates, and when an update fails."
Automatic Plugin Updates for WordPress sites

And it is for free.

Hi @custer,
the second scenario (I want to automatically update a particular plugin or theme on all WordPress instances) is also acceptable to me.

Any chance to add the "Wordpress" category to the uservoice? Docker has its own category. Why not add Wordpress too? :)

Hi @custer,

I looked at plesk.com and the refreshed version of the website looks really, really nice. Good job guys :)

In the description of Wp Toolkit, I noticed that auto-updates for themes and plugins are available for Plesk Web Pro and Host Edition.
https://www.plesk.com/wp-toolkit/

So I updated the Plesk to the new version, but I can not find this option. Where it is?

Last edited:
Hi Tomek,

Thanks for the kind words. :) Regarding the plugin and theme autoupdates -- this feature will be introduced in the next major WPT update (3.1, beginning of April). Sorry to keep you waiting!

Hi Tomek,

Thanks for the kind words. :) Regarding the plugin and theme autoupdates -- this feature will be introduced in the next major WPT update (3.1, beginning of April). Sorry to keep you waiting!

This is great news, Thanks custer!

How would one update plugins and themes via cli? This used to work in the past but since WPTK V XXXXX it doesn't work anymore.

Does someone have an example how to do this?

Thanks

How would one update plugins and themes via cli? This used to work in the past but since WPTK V XXXXX it doesn't work anymore.

Does someone have an example how to do this?

Thanks

@DerDanilo

What did you do or execute exactly to come to this conclusion?

I am rather curious, for many reasons........and the main one being that the WPT is essentially a wrapper around the well-known WP-CLI.

You should still be able to do some command line execution of specific WPT related tasks.

Can you be more specific and provide some information?

Kind regards.......

Back