• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Is it possible to have a testing plesk installation on a virtual PC

Dan Mikkelsen

Basic Pleskian
I would like to try out a few new installations once in a while, an I have also begun to get an interest for building some extensions for plesk with some of the features I find missing myself, and probably also something others could have some usage from.
But I'm not to happy about trying anything on my live installation of plesk which have paying customers on it, and I have tried once before that the entire system didn't run properly because of a new installation I wanted to try out, which gave a very long stressful day with downtime and constant googling for solutions...

So I'm wondering if its possible to have a complete copy of my plesk installation running on virtualbox f.ex for testing every new thing before doing the same on my live server?
Also with working on extensions it would probably need a few other Linux distros with plesk installed to test for compatibility I would assume.
I'm guessing it is possible, but there are some licensing policies that requires an extra purchase or something similar to my live plesk installation which is licensed for 100 domains through a Hetzner server setup. But what exactly is the way for doing this, or maybe the correct question is what kind of licence does this require?

Yes I noticed the 30 day trial, and it would be pretty perfect for working with extensions (for 30 days unless I want to "cheat" by using many email aliases for a new trial installation)
But will this somehow make it possible to import my entire live setup somehow (almost entire server setup), for testing on a close as possible copy of my liveserver?

Hi Dan Mikkelsen,

the sentence "Plesk trial licenses are fully functional. Plesk server data will remain intact after re-activating it with Plesk trial license."

... has been copied by me, because I already thought that you are going to ask a next question... :p
You are certainly able to migrate domains/data from other Plesk servers. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back