• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Is there any difference between VPS and dedicated hosting licenses?

Jimmy Chang

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 20.04.5 LTS
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian v18.0.41
I want to buy a license but I see prices with VPS and dedicated hosting.
When I want to use the Web Hosting version, is there any difference between the licenses other than the price?
[background]

Our company had dedicated hosting years ago and used a version of Plesk Web Hosting.
At the time, there was no particular question about purchasing a license for dedicated hosting.

But this question arose when we gradually deployed servers to cloud hosts.

We have deployed ECS hosts on Alibaba Cloud and GCP respectively. (ECS/Compute Engine) and uses the IaaS model.
The Ubuntu system is running on ECS and has Root privileges.

Although cloud hosting also uses virtualization technology.
However, compared with ordinary VPS, the scalability of cloud hosting has more advantages.

Also has more autonomy and authority (such as Root authority)

Well, buy a license for Plesk in case of IaaS.

Should I choose dedicated hosting or VPS?
Are there any detailed differences other than price?

I can't see it on Plesk's official page.

Hi, IgorG Thanks.
So does this mean that any ECS of the IaaS architecture I deploy on Alibaba Cloud or GCP can use VPS License?

However, I'm not sure what kind of virtualization environment my CSP provides.

Plesk is available on the Alibaba Cloud Platform only as a BYOL version for CentOS and Ubuntu: Support of Cloud Platforms
More details can be found here: Installing Plesk on Alibaba Cloud
So, you have to "bring your own Plesk license".
VPS licenses (or also: Virtual Private Server licenses) can be used only on virtual instances based on hypervisor technology such as Virtuozzo, Xen, KVM, Hyper-V, or VMware. Dedicated server Plesk licenses can be installed on either a dedicated server or on a VPS (Virtual Private Server).
All license-related questions you can ask here: Licensing and Purchase support

There is any reason to choose "Web Pro Edition VPS" over "Web Pro Edition Dedicated"?

They cost the same and "Dedicate" can be used either on VPS or Physical, anyway ...

What are the specific advantages of choosing Web Pro Edition VPS over Web Pro Edition Dedicated, when they have the same cost and can be used interchangeably between VPS and Physical servers?

For historic reasons, the difference in licenses still exists, but yes, you can use a "dedicated" license on VPS, too.

Back