• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Issue with smtp with any email client

arturs.gabliks

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Ubuntu 20.04 x64
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.46 Update #1
Hello, Previously I successfully to email server with email client and sent emails using clients.
Then it suddenly stopped working.
Now I try to set account again for example with bluemail client, incoming is ok, but outgoing : Cannot connect to server.

I use cloudflare.

25 port is open.

I dont see any new log record, after I try to connect with mail client.

Also there are some suspiciouslog records, like :
postfix/smtpd [277342]warning: hostname marries.angerenhanc.com does not resolve to address 141.98.10.27

I tried to fix warnings what mxtoolbox shows, no results, and maybe not related to my issue at all.

Any advice where to look at, please :)

Attachments

• email_1.PNG
    email_1.PNG
    25.2 KB · Views: 21
  • email_2.PNG
    email_2.PNG
    84.9 KB · Views: 17
  • email_3.PNG
    email_3.PNG
    19.3 KB · Views: 17
  • email_5.PNG
    email_5.PNG
    116.1 KB · Views: 13
  • email_6.PNG
    email_6.PNG
    155.5 KB · Views: 23
SSL/TLS will not work with port 25, that port has to connect without encryption and therefore can only use STARTTLS.
For implicit TLS, you should use 465.
Note that for sending from a client you should use port 587 (and STARTTLS) instead of 25.

Hmm, it works only with android phone Bluemail . Not with PC Bluemail, Windows 11 mail or Outlook.

Attachments

• mail_7.PNG
    mail_7.PNG
    29.6 KB · Views: 16
  • mail_8.PNG
    mail_8.PNG
    15.9 KB · Views: 15
  • mail_9.PNG
    mail_9.PNG
    11.6 KB · Views: 16
Change your port for outgoing mails to "587" and in the encryption method dropdown select "STARTTLS"

Nop. also 587 port is closed. Vultr support team opened 25 port for smtp. It works on mobile phone, but not PC.

Attachments

• bb.PNG
    bb.PNG
    23.5 KB · Views: 3
Current mailservers, for security reasons (plaintext authentication WILL get your password stolen), do not allow authentication when the connection is not encrypted (for a connection that is not encrypted from the start, like connection on 465 implicitly is, the commands only become available after STARTTLS). And unauthenticated mail sending will be blocked, as it should.
SPA might not work anyway.
If you can neither use SSL/TLS and port 465 or STARTTLS and port 587, and your provider doesn't want to unblock them, try STARTTLS and port 25.

I might be mistaken, so correct me if I am wrong, but I always thought that because of the way SNI is utilized by Plesk the domain name itself should be used as a value for connecting to the SMTP server (and IMAP/POP). Without the mail. prefix. So just example.com instead of mail.example.com.

Which in your case @arturs.gabliks won't work unless you disable the proxy in CloudFlare. Because CloudFlare does not accept email when proxy enabled. Alternatively you could use the hostname of your server, which should work. However I noticed that you're using a Plesk generated hostname for your server (friendly-mendeleev.66-135-5-xx-.plesk.page), which I am not sure of if there are any restrictions.

Ah I found the issue. PLESK is blocking my home PC IP address somehow. When i connect my android phone to home wifi, then I can not connect to smtp 25 STARTTLS, but if i connect to mobile network, then connection is successful. I check fail2ban, but dont see my home ip banned. Where else it could be blocked ?

Either that, or maybe Vultr didn't open port 25 completely but left in a block of some DSL providers?

Why would they do that ?
Because mails directly sent from dynamic IPs are 99% spam from hacked PCs, as dynamic IPs should never try to deliver mail directly but instead go through their ISP.
So DUL blocklists prevent them from delivering those mails by giving them a huge spam score or, as might be the case here, preventing them from connecting to port 25 at all (and sometimes other ports too, like SSH).
Could be Vultr, could also be your ISP as @Kaspar wrote, could be both.
Try connecting to any big provider's mail server on port 25 (you might need to install telnet for that, and `telnet provider.net 25`). Does it connect, or does it fail as well?

BTW, does the connection to your server already fail to connect, or is it force-closed my the mailserver after connection is established?

Back