• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issues with emails on domains using exchange

KimHuff

New Pleskian
***SOLVED*** Issues with emails on domains using exchange

I am pulling my hair out regarding an issue I am having on my dedicated server with email for clients using Microsoft Exchange but I am getting NOWHERE with Hostway. I am hoping someone here will have more information.

Ok, I have 40 domains on my RedHat server running Parallels 10.1.1. (Although I had the same problem with 9.5 too.) I have my own personal domain that I use for most of my emails along with a business domain I use. All of my clients use the server's email except for three domains. Those three domains are using Microsoft Exchange to manage their emails. Here is the problem.

If I email a client that uses Exchange they never receive the emails I send unless I do so outside of the Plesk environment. For example, if I send to them from my gmail account, they get the email every time. If I send it from any of my own domains on the server, it is delivered to their webmail, but it never gets picked up in their Microsoft Outlook inbox.

I remember reading once that Pleaks handles "internal" emails differently than those outside of the server. SO, lets say I send an email from my domain at xyz.com to cnn.com. Plesk looks at that domain sees that it is not on my server and sends the email on its way. BUT, lets say I send an email from xyz.com to lmnop.com which IS located on my server, Plesk handles the delivery of that email. The problem is... the three domains running exchange do not get their emails through Plesk even though the domain is hosted on my Plesk server. So, I thought, why dont I just remove the email addresses within Plesk. Since I have my DNS setup so it is pointing to the correct IP address, it should send the email with no problems. Unfortunately, the moment I send an email with no email addresses defined, Plesk sends an error message back because there is no account with that name defined.

One thing I should mention is that the DNS is not setup in Plesk but setup in Hostway's Site Control Panel. Could this be the problem? Is it possible that Plesk doesn't look outside of its own environment for DNS information? Either way, I KNOW it is not the configuration of the exchange client's email which is what Hostway keeps telling me.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Last edited:
Another comment on this subject...

When you look at the logs, it looks like the email is being sent. It shows up in the webmail inbox, but it NEVER reaches the Exchange Outlook inbox.

***solved****

Hostway came through. The first tech I talked to was wrong.. like I thought. Here is the scoop if anyone else is having this problem. Under mail settings for that domain, there is an option that actually activates mail for that domain. Once you turn this OFF, then Plesk will look outside of its own environment for all mail.

Back