• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Let's Encrypt suddenly stopped working

Denis Gomes Franco

Regular Pleskian
I've been using Obsidian for some time now, it's been working like a charm. But a few weeks ago Let's Encrypt suddenly stopped working. After banging my head for some days I stumbled upon this: Unable to issue Let's Encrypt certificate: "Connection refused" or "Error getting validation data"

My server uses IPV6, which was activated right when launching it from Vultr's control panel. Everything was running smoothly but unfortunately I could not find out what happened that made the Let's Encrypt throw 'Error getting validation data' errors, because I could actually visit the HTTP address listed in the error message.

So yesterday I decided to check IPV6 connectivity and strangely enough, the server isn't responding via the IPV6 addresses. That is really baffling. Also: I could not ping other addresses such as ipv6.google.com.

I am posting this here because I tried everything I could find but could not make IPv6 work again. Actually, I am not 100% sure if it ever worked from the beginning, I just enabled it per instructions provided by Plesk, the IP address showed up in the UI and everything worked as expected, so I just assumed it was correctly configured.

But the thing is: something may have changed, probably due to some update to Plesk or the OS. I checked Ubuntu's 18 documentation and worked through Netplan to configure the address as per Vultr's instructions but they didn't work (Vultr provides the correct Netplan file for Ubuntu 18). I could not make that thing ping in any way. It may seem as if the IPV6 library (is that the correct name?) is missing.

So I had to spend some good hours disabling IPV6 and removing all DNS entries pointing to IPV6 addresses (70+ domains) in order to make Let's Encrypt work again and issue some certificates that were missing.

So, if someone have some ideas on how to make this work... The above article states that the problem is a firewall or the networking blocking connectivity, but my firewall is correctly configured and Vultr isn't filtering any IPV6 traffic whatsoever. So, it must be something incorrectly configured in Ubuntu 18.

Back