• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Issue Letsencrypt Certs not removed when a domain is removed

Ken Grammer

New Pleskian
I removed a domain that was associated with a letsencrypt SSL certificate. The domain was removed, but the letsencrypt SSL files were left in place.

It would be great if Plesk checked for, and removed, LE files associated with deleted/removed domain names.

This brings me to my question. Is there a way to removed these dangling LE files through a plesk panel option or should I (can I) simply delete the letsencrypt folders associated with the removed domain. Are there other hoops I need to jump through to get those leftover LE files cleaned up?

I would suggest you try to remove this certificate in command line interface with corresponding 'certificate' Plesk utility:

First of all find name of this certificate with someting like:

# plesk bin certificate -l -domain domain.com

After that remove it with

# plesk bin certificate -r <cert_name>

Thanks for the reply, but those commands apparently only work for active domains. Since the domain in question has already been removed, no results are returned.

I would suggest you check existence of record for this certificate in 'certificates' table of Plesk database:

# plesk db
mysql> select * from certificates\G

OK, the certificate in question was not listed. I've renamed the archive and live cert folders and will run a test to see if that presents any issues.

Bottom line... PLESK needs to be remove LE certificates for us when the domain name is deleted! :D

It seems to be a general bug upon domain removal. A similar situation has been observed on our hosts, too. When a domain or subscription are removed, the SSL certificate file and entry is removed, but the symbolic link is not removed from the web server configuration directories (/etc/httpd and subfolder paths). As this situation does not seem to be reproduceable, it is difficult to formulate a bug report on it. But pretty sure that the situation described here is linked to the same problem. At least a verification at the end of a Let's Encrypt removal procedure is missing that things are exactly as expected.

Back