• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Lightsail vs Plesk DNS

John T Mcdowell

New Pleskian
Does anyone have an Amazon Lightsail specific guide for configuring the DNS relationship with a Plesk instance?
It seems like I need to disable my Plesk DNS Service in order to use Plesk on Amazon Lightsail.

Hi John T Mcdowell,

What is the final configuration you want to configure?
- Plesk contains DNS zones and works as a master DNS server
- Lightsail DNS contains DNS zones and works as a master DNS server
- Plesk configures some external DNS service and the service works as a master DNS server? (but this integration should be supported by one of the Plesk extensions)

When you buy a domain from Registrar, you need to enter addresses of nameservers for the domain.
- If you enter an address of the Plesk, Plesk will work as a master DNS (hosts from the Internet will ask the Plesk).
- If you enter addresses of the Lightsail DNS, Lightsail will work as a master DNS (hosts from the Internet will ask Lightsail DNS).
- If you enter addresses of the external DNS service, the external service will work as a master DNS (hosts from the Internet will ask the service).
I hope this link can help: How to use DNS with a Plesk server

Unfortunately, there is no extension that can help integrate Plesk and Lightsail each other. If you want to integrate Plesk and Amazon Route 53 service, you can use the Route53 extension (Amazon Route 53 - Plesk Extensions).

AYamshanov,
Thank you for the reply and information. I was unfamiliar with some of the limitations within Amazon Lightsail.
  • You can only assign 1 Static IP Address to an instance.
  • When using Lightsail DNS Zones it requires you to use their name servers.
  • It also has no ability to act in a master/slave relationship with the Plesk DNS server.
Fix:
Ultimately I chose to go with Amazon Route 53 as my registrar, consolidating from several others.
When my registrar updates finalize, I'll setup a relationship with R53 and my Plesk Instance.

Summary:
I was just trying to get too fancy with a solution that wasn't intended to work that way.

Back