• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question LIMIT/RESTRICT DB SERVER VISIBILITY FOR SUBSCRIPTIONS?

OWEUX LLC

Basic Pleskian
Hello Everyone!

We have a PLESK ONYX (Version 17.8.11 Update #57) installation and multiple clients and subscriptions.

Some of our clients are paying extra to have their own separate DB SERVERS and we have have added those to the PLESK installation and this works. So far so good.

We would like to limit the visibility of these DB SERVERS to those clients. Currently a subscriber can choose to "Add a Database" on any of the available DB SERVERS and so we are unable to proactively limit who creates what where.

Others only see the LOCAL HOST DB SERVER (I assume, until we, as administrators add a database under another server).

If someone accidentally adds a DB under an unintended DB (that does not belong to the subscriber), then removes it, that DB SERVER remains visible to that subscription.

Are we missing something?

Thank you in advance for your input!

First of all, define default database server on Service Plan level: Service Plan -> Hosting parameters -> Default Database server
Then disable option 'Database server selection' in Permissions.

You can limit those extra servers to 1 customer only, if another client request the same order you'll not be able to limit the visibility of those servers for both clients.

Actually this feature is meant for the administrators to reduce the server load and to let customers choose which db engine is right for them.

In your case this is valid only for 1 client with IgorG method above, you'll have to choose the default localhost db server and disable all database selection option in all your service plans and enable it only to that client so the customer subscription will be locked from the service plan and he is the only customer will see the DBs servers.

First of all, define default database server on Service Plan level: Service Plan -> Hosting parameters -> Default Database server
Then disable option 'Database server selection' in Permissions.

Thank you IgorG for your suggestion, I will be using this workaround.

I see some limitations to this approach:
It adds an unnecessary layer of complexity to each project that meets the criteria described above. They will need to have their own custom service plan changed/created this way which will not inherit properties later on and will require manual updates if anything else changes down the road.

Thank you for your thoughts on this.

EDIT: I have to add that to follow this approach you have to go through every single client and explicitly set which database they are allowed to see. When you have, say, 20 clients (even if not paying for the additional DB server as in the described scenario) you now have to create 20 separate 'Service Plans' to assign a DB server and disallow selection and maintain them separately. This is a workaround, not a solution.

Last edited:
Do you have 20 assigned external database servers and formula one database server for one subscription? If so, then indeed, 20 separate Service plans will be required.
If this is not the case, then what is the problem of synchronizing the settings of one Service plan to several connected subscriptions?

IgorG, I appreciate your suggestion. Please do not take my critique of the mechanism to mean otherwise. I feel that PLESK could do better. Maybe through an implementation that handles external DB visibility in a cleaner manner.

We have 50+ websites and projects hosted on this PLESK installation.

Whether we have 20 external DBs or what we currently have, which is 6, we will grow in the future.

Thank you again and I hope there is a better way in the future.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone, if this is a feature that interests you please consider voting for this feature at this official plesk Feature Suggestions link:

Back