• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Mac Mail - Attempt To Read Data From Server Failed

M

Mantishead

Strange problem with Mac Mail.

I can send and receive email with no problem but Mail permanently reports an error when trying to connect to the Mail Server.

The exclamation symbol is displayed next to the IMAP mailbox and clicking on it to re-connect to the server causes the error message to pop up.

However, mail continues to drop into the inbox and send from the outbox.

PS - Does the Plesk IMAP server support IDLE as the new Mac Mail in Leopard takes advantage of this facility?

I'm having the same problem, on Leopard and Tiger.

I tried resetting the server and it worked... for 5 mins.

Please help!

Common

From what I can see this seems to be a pretty common issue but there is nothing in the way of a solution.

When I use my ISPs mail server, which is the same IMAP Courier service as my server - Mac Mail works fine.

This leads me to believe it's something to do with my configuration server side and not Mac Mail.

But I don't actually have a clue...

Resolved

After several weeks of looking around I have found the solution. It was actually here all along though it wasn't listed as being specifically related to this problem with Mac Mail.

It appears modern IMAP clients like Mac Mail and Thunderbird and no doubt other requires several concurrent connections to the IMAP server to make things tick over nicely.

Unfortunately, and for some strange reason the Plesk Courier IMAP default number is 4 per IP address.. which is very poor.

Solution

Do as above except do it to imapd config file instead of POP and all problems go away...

Remember to keep INBOX as your IMAP prefix to make use of Sent, Draft etc..

Back