• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Mail Account in Google Workspace Import into Plesk

philglau

New Pleskian
I have a site that is currently using Google Workspace for its mail service.

We want to migrate it from Workspace to Plesk. Currently something like '[email protected]' would resolve to Google's mail service. We have set up '[email protected]' on the Plesk domain to serve as a target.

When I use the Mail Import tool, it asks for the email/password to log into the Workspace account. I enter it and then direct it to add the email to the Plesk version of '[email protected]'. In the Google Workspace Admin, "Allow users to manage their access to less secure apps" is set to Selected.

However, this doesn't appear to work. Additionally the email address '[email protected]' got a notice from Google that it blocked an unrecognized log in.

I am I doing something wrong? Is there an OAuth way of logging into the Google Workspace account that I'm not seeing in the Mail Import extension?

Google has drastically Increased security last few years. Getting IMAP to work without OAuth takes a bit of effort nowadays. Firstly you'll have to have IMAP imports enabled for the users Workspace email account. Secondly you'll have to enable Two Factor Authentication for the Google account and create a separate App password which you can use for the Plesk mail import tool (instead of the default Google account password).

So I've set up IMAP = "On" in the Google Workspace account as the admin.

For the user we're trying to transfer, I've turned on 2FA, which is a requirement in order to generate App Passwords. I generated an App Password from the 'Other category' (not sure if the category selection is important or not.)

When I try and use the import tool from our plesk server, I enter the [email protected] address as the user name and the App Password generated from within the Google Workspace and still no dice. Get a 'can't log in error'.

Any thought or help on this are appreciated. Thank you.

Fixed:

I had to use the advanced options to force the Plesk to point to 'imap.google.com'. (I also manually select SSL and the correct port)

I suspect the error is that because 'ourdomain.com' is hosted on the Plesk server (but mail was being hosted by the Google Workspace) that when it went to try and find '[email protected]' it tried to log into the local Plesk server itself rather than resolving that the MX record was actually pointing to Google.

On future iterations of the tool, it might be nice if it consults the DNS server for the authoritative (or primary) mail server when trying to log in.

Fixed:

I had to use the advanced options to force the Plesk to point to 'imap.google.com'. (I also manually select SSL and the correct port)

I suspect the error is that because 'ourdomain.com' is hosted on the Plesk server (but mail was being hosted by the Google Workspace) that when it went to try and find '[email protected]' it tried to log into the local Plesk server itself rather than resolving that the MX record was actually pointing to Google.

On future iterations of the tool, it might be nice if it consults the DNS server for the authoritative (or primary) mail server when trying to log in.
Thanks for this update. Just one correction the imap server is 'imap.gmail.com' . This has worked for me.

Back