• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Mail forwarder not working

A

aashua

---------------------------------------------------------------
PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE
Plesk Panel, 10.4.4, Linux 2.6.32.43-6.art.x86_64,
PROBLEM DESCRIPTION AND STEPS TO REPRODUCE
Mail forwarding option not working.
ACTUAL RESULT
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.co.uk.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<[email protected]>:
Unable to forward message: mail server permanently rejected message (#5.3.0).

EXPECTED RESULT : Immediately.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
--------------------------------------------------------------

We are seeing this as well, also using Plesk 10.4.4.

Code:
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at server.hostname.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<[email protected]>:
Unable to forward message: mail server permanently rejected message (#5.3.0).

This occurs when a user is sending a message to an address which is configured as a mail forwarder (there are currently 100+ email addresses set to forward to).

Did you ever get this fixed or find a workaround?

Thanks,
Chris

Last edited:
It seems that Qmail runs the 'Handlers Filter' on all forwarding email addresses before sending the message, and if any one of those addresses is rejected then this results in the message failing. For example, let's say an email address is set to forward to these addresses:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

The server log files will show something like this (where user3 is over their quota or has a problem with their mail account):

Apr 11 10:21:33 hostname qmail-queue-handlers[26559]: SKIP during call 'check-quota' handler
Apr 11 10:21:33 hostname qmail-queue-handlers[26559]: handlers_stderr: SKIP
Apr 11 10:21:33 hostname qmail-queue-handlers[26559]: SKIP during call 'check-quota' handler
Apr 11 10:21:33 hostname qmail-queue-handlers[26559]: handlers_stderr: REJECT
Apr 11 10:21:33 hostname qmail-queue-handlers[26559]: REJECT during call 'check-quota' handler

This results in the message being permanently rejected (as per the original error message), and the message is not sent to ANY of the forwarding addresses.

This seems to be a bug with Plesk. It should still send the mail to all of the forwarding addresses with the exception of the rejected address, rather than a single rejection causing the entire message to fail.

Mail not forwarding from any domain on server

I am running an ubuntu linux server with plesk 10.4.4 and qmail. Just set it up with Godaddy.

None of the forwarded email addresses will deliver no matter what domain on the server. Doesn't seem to matter if the email is forwarded to a domain on the server or not.

Mark

Back