• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Mail gets stuck in queue

W

W2JGA

For some reason, all mail from any domain gets stuck in the mail queue. I checked the mail error logs and it says something about not being able to connect to smtp. ??

Though I can email all day long from Outlook Express, but anything from the server itself, won't get out of the queue. This includes enabling smtp on phpBB boards.

I'm new to this, so please be gentle.

Can you try telnetting to a mail server? IE: look at one of the emails, check the recipient's email address, type dig domain.com mx get the 10 mx record and try to telnet on port 25 to that address. Might be that your nameservers aren't giving you responses, or you've got something blocking port 25 on the outbound. Also, have you checked to see if the missing messages are in the queue? Might want to do that first as maybe PHP is broken?

Can you try telnetting to a mail server? IE: look at one of the emails, check the recipient's email address, type dig domain.com mx get the 10 mx record and try to telnet on port 25 to that address. Might be that your nameservers aren't giving you responses, or you've got something blocking port 25 on the outbound. Also, have you checked to see if the missing messages are in the queue? Might want to do that first as maybe PHP is broken?

I can telnet to the server via port 25, I can compose a message, send it, but then I can see it in the mail queue. Stuck.

DIG results...

; <<>> DiG 9.3.1 <<>> mydomain.net mx
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 13022
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 3

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;mydomain.net. IN MX

;; ANSWER SECTION:
mydomain.net. 86400 IN MX 10 mail.mydomain.net.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
mydomain.net. 86400 IN NS ns1.mydomain.net.
mydomain.net 86400 IN NS ns2.mydomain.net.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
mail.mydomain.net. 86400 IN A IP ADDRESS
ns1.mydomain.net. 86400 IN A IP ADDRESS
ns2.mydomain.net. 86400 IN A IP ADDRESS

;; Query time: 2 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Fri Mar 7 13:21:42 2008
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 133

Like I said, I can send and recieve mail via Outlook Express, but anything coming from phpbb or internal like cron messages or whatever, it stays in the queue. I checked for error messages in phpBB 3, but I get none. When I purposely change a mail setting for smtp, then I get a error message in phpbb 3 error section.

Though, this has never happened until I got upgraded to 8.3.

Ok, more specifics....
Outside source email, I can email into the server and rcv it via Outlook. If I were to send a msg via Outlook using the server email, then it gets stuck in the mail queue of Plesk.

Anything else I can try. Thanks for the help so far!

qmHandle didn't help.

Let's look at something else shall we...

On the server settings page, I went into DNS settings, then DNS preferences, and I noticed that "Local Nets" was selected for allow recursion. So I changed this back to Any hosts, resetup my other empty domains, and installed phpBB on 2 of them. Email now works for those 2 that I just resetup with basic phpBB3 installation. The other website that I was mainly have trouble with, still shows problems with email. Should I dump that domain, and reinstall it since making changes to the DNS?

Remember, Plesk 8.3 was just installed from scratch the other day. So, it's possible that some settings may not be changed correctly. Anything else that I might have missed during initial setup that would effect mail please point out.

Back