• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Mail missing in between name server change - question

dicko_md

Basic Pleskian
Hi

I have done a full web transfer for a customer as agreed from WHM/CPanel to Plesk 11.5.30. They did not change their name server as required on the same date. They now have mail on the old server that was sent after the transfer and before he changed the name servers.

The website is OK but the email is missing a few days and he has asked if I could move it from the old server to the new server.

I tried to do this via horde 5.1.1 but the tutorials that said we could do it failed by downloading the emails and then importing. I cant even find the download option to do this on the folders.

I had to rename all passwords to the same one so I can access them.

Then I had a idea but I need to ask. If I ran a Plesk transfer again but just for the mail. would this overwrite the email file or just add the missing mail ?

Next question is because I changed the password on the CPanel email accounts.......would that change them on the plesk server ?

Thanks in advance

Martyn

Hi,

how are emails on the old server usually called?
POP or IMAP?

If they used POP then the risk of duplicate email is rather low for the following way of getting mails from the old server.
Because I would use "fetchmail", which is a small Script that can be installed on your system.

It can then be configured to poll the old server and sort the emails into your "local" Plesk Mailaccounts.

If emails were previously called by IMAP, then you would probably end up with duplicate emails.

Another Option to merge Emails but it's not for free I am afraid is https://www.audriga.com/en/email-migration/smes-and-end-users.html

I've worked with them and it was really easy.

Regards,
Kristian

Hi

Ive asked that question and awaiting an answer but I am guessing its IMAP.

Would running the transfer/migration in Plesk 11.5 not fix this issue if I choose just the email option?

Also if the above works would I need to tick the option to overwrite (and is overwrite.....overwrite the full mail file or merge ?)

Thanks

Martyn

Hi,

I can't tell you I am afraid.
With migrations, I always tell my customers to disabled Mailservices prior to me starting to migrate.
So I never end up with split brain :)

If they actually do use IMAP you could try and use rsync. (Without delete option).
But I highly recommend you to create a backup of the mail folders prior to starting.

Depending on how many Mail Accounts you have and if you have access to the shell of the old server,
you could try and use "find" and find everything that has been created the past $X days.
Move them to a separate folder and then migrate them to the new server.

So I do think there are ways to move these mails. But I can't tell you if the migration Manager would overwrite or merge them.
I would expect it to merge, but you never know :)

Regards,
Kristian

Hi Just tried the transfer in plesk for mail file only and that didnt work.

Ill explore the other options though

Thanks

Martyn

I dont suppose you have a command for the find on rsync I could try ?

I could try the test account I have still set up for testing originally for when I tested migrating to plesk from Plesk.

Thanks

Martyn

Back