• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question mail server: SPF-checking on, but no trace of checks in email headers?

ronv

Basic Pleskian
I am setting up an IMAP email server for a domain managed via Plesk Onyx-17.0.7 with following settings:
  • installed mail server: postfix
  • Installed IMAP/POP3 server: Courier-IMAP
(though it seems that qmail is the actual program managing the data of the IMAP accounts)

I've created an SPF record for my domain (on an external DNS, in case that is relevant) and enabled SPF spam protection in the mail server settings. I am sure the SPF record is set up correctly, tested with SPF testing email services and online testing tools, etc.

Yet, when inspecting the message headers of test emails I'm sending to myself, I've noticed that no SPF headers are present. I'm not sure whether this means that a) SPF has been checked by the mail server, and the message has passed the test (silently), or b) no SPF checking is being performed? (On the other hand, I've noticed how in a spam message that had gotten through on my Plesk-managed mail server, an "Received-SPF: neutral" header had been added, so I'm wondering if this only happens if emails don't pass the SPF test.)

Any help much appreciated!

Best,

Ron

Hi ronv,

pls. use your mail - logs, to investigate eMail - processes and post the corresponding logs, if you desire help from the Plesk community. In addition, consider to post the FQDN, if you expect decent answers, so people willing to help you have something to start with their investigations for you. ;)

Back