• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Forwarded to devs Mail Settings option still given even if disabled in Service Plan

obendev

Basic Pleskian
User name: lkdvc

TITLE

Mail Settings option still given even if disabled in Service Plan

PRODUCT, VERSION, OPERATING SYSTEM, ARCHITECTURE

Plesk Obsidian v18.0.28_build1800200720.10 os_Ubuntu 18.04

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION

When the mail service is disabled in a Service Plan, the Mail Settings in tabs-area are gone, however there are still settings in the tools-list: Mail Settings and Limit Outgoing Messages.
Mail Importing also, but this is from the Site Import extension.

STEPS TO REPRODUCE

1. Create a service plan with mail service disabled
  2. Create a subscription
  3. Choose the new service plan

ACTUAL RESULT

The button for Mail Settings is still present.

EXPECTED RESULT

The button for Mail Settings shouldn't be present.

ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

YOUR EXPECTATIONS FROM PLESK SERVICE TEAM

Confirm bug

Reactions: Hex
From developer:

'Ability to change mail settings' (aka manage_mail_settings) permission is responsible for 'Mail settings' button presence. As long as customer/reseller has permission to manage mail settings he/she can always enable mail service for a domain even if it disabled in the service plan.

Hey IgorG, thanks for the quick reply as always.
The customer/reseller can't activate the mail service, because it is disabled in the service plan - Which is a good / correct thing. (In my opinion).

mailservice.png

However.. There is still the "Mail settings" button, and this is confusing for the customer, because he can click on it but can’t change anything, so I think the button should be removed if the mail service is disabled in the service plan.

button.png

And I've found even one more weird thing / bug / issue.
When the customer creates a new domain, he can also check the checkbox "Activate the mail service", even though it's disabled in the service plan and he doesn't have permission to change the state.
This checkbox should be removed for subscriptions with a service plan where the mail service is deactivated.
mailserviceplan.png

Thank you for the screenshot. Bug was confirmed and submitted as PPPM-12234

The other way around is to set mailboxes to "0" , this will remove the mail tab completely from Admin view and customer view. 18.0.29

I think this is behaviour more weird than currently known.
When the mail service is disabled
  • it says "Security can be improved" for SSL/TLS certificates, because the certificate isn't selected for the mail service.But it obviously cannot be selected for the mail service, since the mail service is disabled in the service plan.
  • the customer can set a Email address (not external), although the mail service is disabled
  • the customer can still access smb/email-address/list via URL
  • the option for mail importing is still shown
Also I think Forwarded to devs - Mail service not available although it's enabled in service plan is related to all this.
@IgorG can you forward this to devs additionally?
My customers are getting impatient and we are getting more and more questions related to this.

We also recently had a case where a customer who had a service plan assigned that had mail service disabled, ended up with a mail service running for one of his domains and mails were managed by the server, which led to a long search why he isn't receiving any mails on his actual mailbox.
There is definitely something that isn't working 100% and to be honest the whole mail permission management feels a bit shady recently.

Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.57 Update #5
Disabled mail in every section and enabled "External SMTP Server" for the server messages.
In users panel Mail > Mail Importing still showing

Any solution?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-20 153744.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-12-20 153744.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 2
Mail Importing is part of the "Site Import extension". You'll need to disable the extension to remove the Mail Importing from the mail tab.

Back