• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Mail User rights

altec_lansing

Basic Pleskian
Hi,
I've just upgraded from 9.5.1 to 10.1.1.
Now I'm a little confused about the rights a normal mail account has.
When logging into the plesk panel with a mail account, that user is able to change the
mailbox size and he can see all the other mailaccounts on that domain.
How do I change that?
Cause I don't want the mail users to be able to change the size, only to activate/deactivate the mailbox
and I don't want them to see the other mail accounts.
Why did they change that?

Thanks, altec

Thanks for the link,
so, it's not a bug it's a feature??

I dont want email users to be able to see all the other accounts on my domain
and I don't want them to be able to change their mailbox size.
But, I want them to be able to de-/activate the mailbox to add or remove a forwarding address, to de-/activate their spamfilter and to add a auto-reply if they want to.
Simply all the stuff, that was a normal behavior in 9.x.
Is there a way to configure 10.1.1 that I get what I need?

Thanks,
Altec

The only way that might 'solve' that for me is creating a webinterface on my own,
that uses the "/usr/local/psa/bin/mail" to configure the emailadresses.
I don't prefer that solution, but if there's no other way... .

Have you had any success on this problem? I've tried every various configuration setting and combination I could think of to try and restrict this and nothing has worked and I've had a ticket open with Parallels support for 4 days now with no answers on how users are supposed to control their auto-reply/spam/etc preferences without logging into the control panel.

Hello, at the moment there is no way to restrict mail user from seeing others. It works well for normal web hosting subscription where all users belong to the same organization and can see each other w/o security impact.

I guess you do some sort of mail hosting in your own domain. Would that be correct? If you tell us more about your business, then we can attempt to shape Plesk better for it.

Regards

Yes, I'm doing some sort of mail hosting on my domain,
I'm renting/leasing email addresses.
If this is a company or something simliar, it'd be ok for all members to see everybody, but as a hosting service... .
It'd be great to have (in plesk) the possibility to de-/activate the function of a normal email user to be able to see everybody else.
And btw. not to be able to change it's own mailbox size (I don't even understand, why this is possible at the moment, caus unlimited mailbox size for everbody (what most of the people would activate, I guess) might lead to problems, administrating the mail service.

It the moment I don't see any alternativ but making a webinterface on my own.
Therefore I'm using php, that writes a shell script which uses
"/usr/local/psa/bin/mail" and "/usr/local/psa/bin/spamassasin" to configure the mail service the way I want.
To run this script, I use a cronjob, every minute.

I'm not done with that 'till now, but if someone wants me to, I'll post my solution when ready.
Altec

The comment above is about "Users" tab visibility

As for changing own mailbox size - user can only set it to lower value than your default one. So if you have 2GB size set, they only can set it to say 1Gb or 1.5Gb, but not to 3Gb. So it shall not ruin anything for you, though you don't have any benefit from it.

Regards

Thanks,
upgrading to 10.2 add hiding the user tab works, users don't see the user accounts anymore.

But now there's a new problem... .
When I create an email account, I can't log in to the control panel (of course, it's an email, not an user account).
That means, I can't make any changes according to that account, but changing the password via horde-webmailing.
Because of not being able to log into the panel, I can't change spamfilter settings, forwarding or anythin else.

Creating a user and adding an email address to it, works, of course.
Logging in works as well as configuring spamfilter and the other stuff.
But changing the password is not possible anymore, because of the invisibility of the user-tab.
I can't neither change the user, nor the email account password.
Logging into horde and changing the email account password works, but after that, the user needs one password to login to the control panel and an other one (if changed) to login to horde.... .

Is there a solution for that?
Hope it is,
thanks, Altec!

Hello Altec,

User can change password by going into their profile (click on their login name in top bar). "Users" tab isn't required.
110927-418201132929pm.png

Does it address your problem?

Regards

Back