• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question mailenable - smtp spam

mudassar

Basic Pleskian
Server operating system version
windows server 2019
Plesk version and microupdate number
obsidian 18.0.47
Hi,

I have been notified by my server that there is a high level of spam being sent from my server. I have been investigating and in the mailenable logs there are thousands and thousands of emails sent and queued. They are all saying sent from smtp:[email protected]
The server has multiple domains and mail accounts and these messages seem to be coming from most of them.

I am taking this as my server has been compromised, and I have no idea what next step to take! I find it hard to believe that someone could guess the password to MOST of the mail accounts on my server.

Is there a specific log somewhere of which IP has logged in to which SMTP mailbox?

I could TRY and just block all of the IP's that are not known to me. That seems a bit futile though.

Hi @mudassar, have you seen this article? It could be a good starting point:

Also, I realize that you are on a Windows server. It is possible that the mails are sent from a virus on the system. This cannot be handled by Plesk, it is more a problem on the system itself. Instead, try to do a thorough check, maybe even get a 2nd opinion by a different scanner.

Back