• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Mailman not functional after server reboot

webbing

Basic Pleskian
We are running Plesk Onyx (#24) on CentOS 7.4 and each time after we reboot the server Mailman stops working. Messages sent to mailing lists are sent but never received.

Uninstalling/Reinstalling Mailman via Plesk solves the issue and immediately after reinstall all the previously sent messages are automatically delivered to the recipients. The mail server is Postfix.

Is anybody dealing with this issue? Any ideas?

Hi webbing,

pls. consider to investigate the described issue with the help of you mail - logs. They should directly point to possible issues/errors/problems. :)

It could help as well to compare both situations ( i. e. you could compare the configuration files before and after your re-install process ), to investigate possible misconfigurations and last but not least, pls. make sure, that all depending services are up and running. ;)

Thank you for your reply. Under /var/log/mailman/ there are a lot of files, which one should be investigated?

@IgorG - the strangest thing is that /var/log/mailman/error is empty (no entries inside). The only thing which I suspect is that mailman doesn't starts after a server reboot.

Have you tried to re-install mailman and run mail repair with

# plesk repair mail

?

I have performed the steps above and the output is the following.

1. mailman reinstalled from scratch - all OK. Test message sent - received.

2. ran the command below - NO ERRORS

[root@server ~]# plesk repair mail

Repairing the mail server configuration

Reconfigure all domains and mailboxes? [Y/n] Y
Reconfiguring all domains and mailboxes ......................... [OK]

Error messages: 0; Warnings: 0; Errors resolved: 0

3. server rebooted successfully

4. test message sent - NOT RECEIVED

5. verifying the status of the service after restart - SERVICE IS OFF
[root@server ~]# service mailman status
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl status mailman.service
● mailman.service - GNU Mailing List Manager
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/mailman.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: inactive (dead)

6. service restarted manually

[root@server ~]# service mailman start
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl start mailman.service

7. instantly after service start the test message sent at point #4 was delivered

CONCLUSION - the mailman service is not started after a server reboot.

PS - I was able to replicate this issue on a different server we have with the same configuration as this one.

Sorry for dropping in, but I have the very same and exact situation, using the very same OS and Plesk versions.

Also, in "Tools & Settings" -> "Services Management" I don't see an entry for mailman. Is this expected?

I haven't tried any corrective action so far (beside manually starting the service, that is...)

Mail services are Postfix / Dovecot.

Hi Sergio Manzi,

if you think, that your described issue/error/problem might be a bug within Plesk components and/or extensions ( and can be reproduced ), pls. consider to open a NEW bug - report at:

... so that we are able to pass over the report to the Plesk developers.

Hi, @UFHH01 !

To be honest I don't feel qualified to positively affirm that this is "a bug" and beside that I'm also running a non-standard DKIM milter (which could complicate interaction with support personal...)

Let's say that I find the coincidence of me and @webbing having the same issue with apparently the same configuration... a little bit suspicious...

To complete my answer and put it in the right perspective, I'm also not in the condition to try and reproduce the issue as I cannot disrupt other operations by rebooting the system "at my will", but only when absolutely necessary...

Thank you @Sergio Manzi for posting the solution above, I confirm that running

# systemctl enable mailman

...solves the mailman service issue (post restart). Everything works correct now.

Back