• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Queue emails after outgoing limit has been reached

BradGML

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Almalinux release 8.9 (Midnight Oncilla)
Plesk version and microupdate number
18.0.57 #2
Emails used to roll over after hitting their limits on our older Plesk boxes (not sure of the version).
eg limit set at 10 emails per hour, if a user tried to send 12 emails 0900 - 1000, the 2 additional emails would be sent in the 1000 - 1100 window.

This was incredibly useful as it used to slow the traffic between all clients using the mail server and clients would just continue throughout the day without seeing any mail delivery issues.

It seems like this behaviour was changed for Obsidian to just block further emails and send an NDR to the user; who then contact us.

Is there any way of returning this previous functionality as we found it incredibly useful?

Thanks

I am afraid, no, it has not been that way before. Mails that exceeded the outgoing mail limit were not kept in the queue, but were discarded. This is an important algorithm that should not be changed, because in the event of unsolicited mail submissions to the MTA, those unwanted mails would continue to being delivered although they are malicious. The outgoing mail limit would be an absurd limit.

If you want a feature that delays emails for a certain while, please suggest it on Feature Suggestions: Top (1948 ideas) – Your Ideas for Plesk.

Hi Peter,
It's interesting that this is how Plesk works out of the box, but we've recently replaced an email server and found that since then customers are complaining that their emails are being bounced, whereas previously their emails WERE being delivered after the hour.
This makes me wonder if a previous employee did something clever with server to allow this.

I appreciate you don't feel that it should work this way, but that worked really well for us and it's a real headache now it doesn't work that way.
Is there a switch to toggle how the behaviour works that we could perhaps enable?

There is no switch to toggle the behavior. What I can imagine is that a script tests whether an email was delivered, and if it is not delivered, it halts further mails. I have observed that by some Wordpress plugins. This can lead to the situation that you know from the past that further mails are sent once the outgoing mail is allowed again.

Back