• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Mailman problems after switching to Plesk 10.2

Flachzange

Basic Pleskian
Hi.

Assume I have a list called "test1". Plesk does accept mails to this lists and forwards the mails to the members. So the primary function of mailman is satisfied. But qmail does NOT accept mails to:

test1-owner@...
test1-request@...
test1-subscribe@...
etc..

Qmail says: No Mailbox here by that name. I tried to recreate the mailinglist or creating even new lists on different domains. Without success. I checked the .qmail files and I have the following files in mailnames folder:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 95 2011-04-20 20:24 .qmail-test1
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 96 2011-04-20 20:24 .qmail-test1-admin
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 98 2011-04-20 20:24 .qmail-test1-bounces
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 98 2011-04-20 20:24 .qmail-test1-confirm
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 95 2011-04-20 20:24 .qmail-test1-join
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 96 2011-04-20 20:24 .qmail-test1-leave
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 96 2011-04-20 20:24 .qmail-test1-owner
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 98 2011-04-20 20:24 .qmail-test1-request
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 100 2011-04-20 20:24 .qmail-test1-subscribe
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 102 2011-04-20 20:24 .qmail-test1-unsubscribe

.qmail-test1-owner contains for example:

|/var/qmail/bin/preline /usr/lib/plesk-9.0/mm_wrapper /usr/lib/mailman/mail/mailman admin test1

I did the trick with switching to postfix and then back to qmail, but without success. Same behavior.

I don't know where to look right now and hope for any help.

Best regards.
Christoph

The history:
I upgraded from Plesk 9.5.2 to 10.2 on an Ubuntu 8.04 server. After the upgrade, mailman did not work anymore. The configuration site said "Bug in mailman 2.19". I tried several things:

- stop/start mailman
- reconfiguring the Ubuntu packages
- reinstall the Ubuntu packages

Then I found a thread suggesting to run "check_ferms". And indeed several permissions were set wrong. After correction mailman started again.

Edit: Also did

/usr/local/psa/admin/sbin/mchk --with-spam

but no change...

Last edited:
thanks for you reply Igor. I tried your suggestion, but without success. Actually I don't think it is an issue related to mailman but rather to qmail and its mailman integration.

The smtp server doesn't not accept any mail to the above mentioned mailman addresses. It immediately rejects it with

"sorry no mailbox it here by that name. (#5.7.17)"

That means, it does not that send an error mail with the above content, my Thunderbird mail client display the error message.

I assume this has to do with misconfigured qmail aliases, but I don't know where the qmail aliases for mailman are defined.

For example:
I have the above files in my mailnames folder. But when I delete for example ".qmail-test1" (which works) qmail still accept the mails for "test1" (but obviously, they can't be delivered to mailman). So there must be some (configuration) point where qmail knows that it has to accept mails for "test1". And probably we have to add "test1-join" "test1-request" and so on to make it work. But as I said, I don't know where qmail handles exactly these aliases.

Regards,
Christoph

I am also seeing this problem on our Plesk server. Moderators and admins are not informed of pending moderation requests as qmail cannot deliver e-mails to the moderator/admin addresses as they do not exist.

I am also seeing this problem on our Plesk server. Moderators and admins are not informed of pending moderation requests as qmail cannot deliver e-mails to the moderator/admin addresses as they do not exist.

That's exactly the same cause why I have discovered the problem.

and also i have the problem with postfix...

there will not create any alias @ plesk - e-mail for mailman...

alsi i don't have any infos @ logfiles!!

So - if people are seeing this with both qmail or postfix MTAs, then it must be a problem with the Plesk setup for mailman in general in v10?

in 10.2 i think... i had tested without problems with plesk 10.1... so i tests finished, i try to create with 10.2 and it didn't work...
i spend some hours to find the problem today...

We have seen this problem with since upgrade to 10.0. Lists created in pre-10.0 plesk still work, but no admin or moderator e-mails can be delivered to them. This is whether we re-create the lists or not.

I try also to add me to the Mailinglist with some other Mailadresses... on the normal way (so, how other users do it), also thats not working...

Hi there,

We are also experiencing the issue (since v10.x) of mailman not sending the moderator or bounces emails. If I send an email to a list then I receive the bounce back to me saying the email awaits moderator request however the email never gets sent to the mod (bounces) list. The smtp-failure log looks like this:

Apr 27 09:47:50 2011 (6485) All recipients refused: {'[email protected]': (550, 'sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.7.17)')}, msgid: <[email protected]>
Apr 27 09:47:50 2011 (6485) delivery to [email protected] failed with code 550: sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.7.17)

All the .qmail files exist (same as above posts) and the check_perms comes back OK however it just refuses to send mail to these addresses. I've been pulling my hair out over the past week trying to sort this problem without success!

Hi!

I had the same problem. You'll have to disable "reject nonexistent emails" on each domain you like to use mail man. Otherwise mail man will never get a chance to see the mails.

So long

SnoO thank you so much! I changed it from "reject emails" to "Bounce with message" which allowed Mailman to finally work!

thats a possible workaround, which i will test in the next days, but only a workaround, NOT an solution... It open your Server for Backscatter Spam

Emails to not existing mailadresses should be reject on SMTP-Dialog not with bounce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So Parallels have to find a solution for this problem...

We have just found that by copying the mailbox for an existing address on the maillist's domain we can get maillist-owner@domain to work.

I ran
(sudo) cp -pR /var/qmail/mailnames/domain/testuser /var/qmail/mailnames/domain/maillist-owner/
(testuser having no emails in its inbox)
we then tested emailing the list from a non-member address and this time the moderator received it.

This is just a workaround but if you want to give it a go...

Regarding problem with notifications for moderation try attached fix for Plesk 10.2 and centOS 5x64

Attachments

• chkrcptto_10.2_cos5x64.zip
    18.6 KB · Views: 15
Not sure, why I haven't got noticed about the latest post in this thread. So I could not test IgorG's fix. But it doesn't matter. Now with Plesk 10.3 everything works as expected...

Thanks

I have just upgraded to plesk 10.3 in my linux server and I am getting this problem.

I could not fix it.

is there any workaround for me ?

Back