• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Mails to non-existen users and bouncing!

JuanCar

Regular Pleskian
I set qmail in my domain to forward the mail to non-existen users to a [email protected], an email without mail box.
I have enabled outbound mail control.
Then when I receive mails to non-existent users the mail is forwarded to this null address... but some times I receive a notification about bounce mail because of outbound llimit.
So, is there any way to disconnect outbound mail control in forward mails due to non-existant users?

Thanks

I keep on receiving bounced mails for non-existant users accounts, although I have a [email protected] mail for this kind of mails.
I have a.qmail with # in null mailbox folder but I think the problem is not there.
Plese, any help?
Edit:
The problem appears when Plesk forwards a message to a non-existent user to the [email protected]. Forwarded is limited by outbound control utility!
I think Plesk needs a new option for unknown email: delete the mail, like spam mails option.

Last edited:
Instead of forwarding mails to non-existent users I suggest to choose "Reject" for mails to non-existent users.

plesk01.jpg

I know this option, Reject, but if I use Forward is because I don't want to reply to the sender when receive mails to unknown users, and Reject does reply to sender.
Why? Because there is a lot of spam received for unknown mail account coming from unexistant senders, so reject produces a bounce-bounce chain.
I see two ways for fixing that situation:
  1. Discard email from non existent senders
  2. Forward to a blackhole.
First solution can not be set in Plesk (perhaps setting spamassassin?)
It looks like the second one could be set in Plesk, but I see that it's not posible because of Outbound Mial Control......

I need learn more about Outgoing Control

Thanks

I go on with this problem, and I've discovered that
1. A mail from other server but with an user account in my domain as return path.(this mail doesn't appear in my logs)
2. So reject mails due to this mail are sent to my domain, with an unknown user.
3. This mail for unknown is forward to my blackhole mail.
4. Outgoing COUNTS this forward messages -> THAT'S THE PROBLEM (some times it exceeds Outgoing Mail limit!)
5. When limit is exceeded I receive the notification and for one hour every email is nod sent and produce a notification for failure.
But Plesk docs says:
Messages forwarded from non-existent addresses. Messages intended for non-existent recipients and thus forwarded to an external address (that is, outside a domain) are not counted in Outgoing Mail Control. This limitation affects the choice of forwarding address in the mail bounce settings of the domain (in the Customer Panel in Mail > Mail Settings > select a domain > Mail for Non-Existent Users): Customers can specify only the addresses that belong to the selected domain. In addition, customers cannot set one forwarding address for several domains because of that restriction. The Plesk administrator can specify a forwarding address without any restrictions.
See that it says "forwarded to an external address (that is, outside a domain) are not counted in Outgoing Mail Control"
but they are counted. The only case where Outgoing is skipped appears when receive a mail from external mail address.

Any comment or solution?

Up for this important security question!

and why not implement too exim for example? qmail is really the last one to use but for the moment we really have not more choices...

My mails are well received by qmail, but lot of spam (i will surely reswitch cause of that). But My mails are not well received by postfix, but less spam. I would better than all this...

Back