• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Manually extracting files from a Plesk backup

Richard18

Basic Pleskian
Plesk 12.5.30 Update #56
Ubuntu 14.04.5

I'm struggling to rescue some files from a Plesk backup, we do a weekly backup to an external FTP server, the files are split at 2GB in size.

When I try and restore the subscription it eventually fails, in the pmmcli.log is: <errmsg>Unable to export file as file: FTP network error</errmsg>

So maybe in future I should reduce the file size to 512MB so that it's less likely for the transfer to fail, but right now I need to extract some files and get a site rolled back.

I can download all of the *.tar* files from my FTP server manually to my own computer, but I can't figure out a way to access the files, none of the Windows apps I've tried that say they can access spanned tar files will actually see anything other than the files contained in the first *.tar file.

I've also tried tar on the Linux command line "tar -xMf ***.tar", it extracts the files from the first tar file, but then when I do "n ***.tar1" it says it can't find any continuation of files and fails.

What can I do to reconstruct all of the tar files into just 1 file and access the contents?

Hi,

First make sure that you create the specific directory that you want to extract into by using:
mkdir -p /newfoldername

tar -xvf filename.tar -C /newfoldername

Regards,

tar -xvf filename.tar -C /newfoldername

I'm afraid that would just extract the data from the first tar file, I also need the data from the other tar parts.

I found a solution, just needed to use cat to put the file back together.

Renamed the files to something easy to script, xa through xn, then ran:

Code:
cat x{a..n} > server.tar

So, all sorted!

Last edited:
Back