• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Combine and Open Plesk Backup TAR Files

Kyle Burghall

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
Microsoft Windows Server 2016
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian Version 18.0.30 Update #4
Hello,
I work for a small IT Company in Saskatoon Saskatchewan Canada.
We backup websites for many of our clients on Plesk servers. We use the Onedrive backup option that is available. When the backups are created, and successful they produce TAR files. I am wonder which program to use to use to combine, as well as open the the Tar files , so that we can access the content of the files in case the plesk servers go down and we have to restore a site manually for a client. So far we have tried using 7- Zip, Pea - Zip, and Winzip, but all produce various errors when trying to combine, and or open TAR files to access the files within the TAR backup. Any assistance resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You,
Kyle Burghall

Weird, for me it's in zip format but then again my test windows system is currently running windows server 2019 on latest version of plesk.

Even in the case of a tar file, I'm able to open it in 7-zip just fine, unless you're talking about a tzst format in which case Releases · mcmilk/7-Zip-zstd should allow you to open those files.

In either case, it's recommended that you don't modify the files to begin with and instead keep it the way it is. In the case of an issue you just need to relink your onedrive account and where the path of where the backup is and plesk will auto detect it and you can start the recovery that way.

Or you can do what I do and look at the plesk backup as a fast and easy way for restoring domains only and have actual server snapshots and backups for an event of an actual server issue where I can roll back the server to.

Back