• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Mariadb does not start when upgrading plesk to 18.0.58 Update 1

ivanes82

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
AlmaLinux 8.9
Plesk version and microupdate number
Plesk Obsidian 18.0.58 Update 1
I have managed to keep the server running by booting Mariadb in safe mode, but it won't boot in normal mode. This has been when updating plesk. Mariadb version 10.11.6

mariadb.service - MariaDB 10.11.6 database server
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/./mariadb.service; disabled; vendor preset: disabled)
Drop-In: /etc/systemd/system/mariadb.service.d
└─[configuration files]
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Wed 2024-01-17 02:04:52 CET; 26min ago
Docs: man:mariadbd(8)
systemd
Process: [PID] ExecStart=/usr/sbin/mariadbd $MYSQLD_OPTS $_WSREP_NEW_CLUSTER $_WSREP_START_POSITION (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Process: [PID] ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c [ ! -e /usr/bin/galera_recovery ] && VAR= || VAR=`cd /usr/bin/..; /usr/bin/galera_recovery`; [ $? -eq 0 ] && systemctl set->
Process: [PID] ExecStartPre=/bin/sh -c systemctl unset-environment _WSREP_START_POSITION (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
Main PID: [PID] (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

ene 17 02:04:52 [nombre del servidor] mariadbd[PID]: 2024-01-17 2:04:52 [ID de error] [ERROR] InnoDB: Plugin initialization aborted with error Generic error
ene 17 02:04:52 [nombre del servidor] mariadbd[PID]: 2024-01-17 2:04:52 [ID de error] [Note] InnoDB: Starting shutdown...
ene 17 02:04:52 [nombre del servidor] mariadbd[PID]: 2024-01-17 2:04:52 [ID de error] [ERROR] Plugin 'InnoDB' registration as a STORAGE ENGINE failed.
ene 17 02:04:52 [nombre del servidor] mariadbd[PID]: 2024-01-17 2:04:52 [ID de error] [Note] Plugin 'FEEDBACK' is disabled.
ene
17 02:04:52 [nombre del servidor] mariadbd[PID]: 2024-01-17 2:04:52 [ID de error] [ERROR] Could not open mysql.plugin table: "Table 'mysql.plugin' doesn't exist". Some plugins may be>
ene 17 02:04:52 [nombre del servidor] mariadbd[PID]: 2024-01-17 2:04:52 [ID de error] [ERROR] Failed to initialize plugins.
ene 17 02:04:52 [nombre del servidor] mariadbd[PID]: 2024-01-17 2:04:52 [ID de error] [ERROR] Aborting
ene 17 02:04:52 [nombre del servidor] systemd[PID]: mariadb.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
ene 17 02:04:52 [nombre del servidor] systemd[PID]: mariadb.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
ene 17 02:04:52 [nombre del servidor] systemd[PID]: Failed to start MariaDB 10.11.6 database server.

I have doubts that "Could not open mysql.plugin table: "Table 'mysql.plugin' doesn't exist"." is a Plesk issue. You may have first seen it on a Plesk update, because that might have reloaded the database or updated something on the database. When the database was previously running and an issue occured with a table that is only needed when it starts, you may not have noticed it, but the problem likely existed before.

This rather appears to be a database server issue. There can be several reasons beyond the obvious that the mysql.plugin table is missing. It could also be caused by corrupted ib_logfile0, ib_logfile1 files. I suggest posting "Could not open mysql.plugin table" to Google and check some of the major resources from StackOverflow, Serverfault etc. where other users of MariaDB have experienced a similar issue. Some answers might match your case and help to solve it.

I have doubts that "Could not open mysql.plugin table: "Table 'mysql.plugin' doesn't exist"." is a Plesk issue. You may have first seen it on a Plesk update, because that might have reloaded the database or updated something on the database. When the database was previously running and an issue occured with a table that is only needed when it starts, you may not have noticed it, but the problem likely existed before.

This rather appears to be a database server issue. There can be several reasons beyond the obvious that the mysql.plugin table is missing. It could also be caused by corrupted ib_logfile0, ib_logfile1 files. I suggest posting "Could not open mysql.plugin table" to Google and check some of the major resources from StackOverflow, Serverfault etc. where other users of MariaDB have experienced a similar issue. Some answers might match your case and help to solve it.
Thank you very much @Peter Debik, I managed to solve it following the indications in this article: https://support.plesk.com/hc/en-us/...x-server-Can-t-open-and-lock-privilege-tables

Back