• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

MariaDB Update....

Gene Steinberg

Regular Pleskian
My Plesk 12.5.30 server is presently offering MariaDB version 5.4.44.

But I see there's a version 10.1.10-MariaDB in the current cPanel.

So do I await for an update in Plesk, or add it myself — or what?

If I add it myself, does that create a complication or is better for you to do it?

Peace,
Gene

It's not offered in the control panel as a normal installation option. You have only one choice for MySQL right now. Shouldn't this change?

cPanel gives you several options.

Peace,
Gene

MariaDB is a drop in replacement for MySQL. If you got MariaDB installed, it'll continue to show up as MySQL in the control panel. Plesk uses whatever repo's that's installed on the system too, so if you replace the MariaDB 5.5 repo with the 10.0 repo, it'll see that there's an upgrade available to "MySQL" but in reality it's talking about MariaDB. If you haven't already replaced out MySQL for MariaDB then you'll need to follow the instructions to do so (the instructions can be found at http://download1.parallels.com/Ples...nistration-guide/index.htm?fileName=72943.htm )

Basically, referring back to the thread that @IgorG referred to, for post #6 (http://talk.plesk.com/threads/ppp-1...place-mariadb-5-5-with-10.334758/#post-787149) shows you how one person did the update that works for him but honestly just dropping in the new repo and doing the upgrade then issuing mysql_upgrade -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` is the gist of all you'll need to do to first get it upgraded from 5.5 to 10.0. After the initial upgrade any new updates is good after that.

Basically, referring back to the thread that @IgorG referred to, for post #6 (http://talk.plesk.com/threads/ppp-1...place-mariadb-5-5-with-10.334758/#post-787149) shows you how one person did the update that works for him but honestly just dropping in the new repo and doing the upgrade then issuing mysql_upgrade -uadmin -p`cat /etc/psa/.psa.shadow` is the gist of all you'll need to do to first get it upgraded from 5.5 to 10.0. After the initial upgrade any new updates is good after that.
Thank you. That was thoroughly painless.

Peace,
Gene

One thing: Followed it all to the letter, but the Plesk updater continues to show a MySQL update as being available. Yes, I ran the command you list above for doing a manual upgrade. So?

Peace,
Gene

Do you really need MySQL 5.7 / MariaDB 10.1?
Are all your tables 100% compatible?
Do you know what is "Strict mode" and what it involves?
Are you prepared to set all needed configs when you find lots of websites not working?

Those are some questions to have answers before upgrading to MySQL 5.7 or MariaDB 10.1.

If you are aware of all changes, then you should upgrade, if not, 10.0 it will be maintained for another 4-5 years.

It's not on my radar. I wanted something that should just work.

I do have a backup server (a cPanel server) with the later MariaDB installed. So I can check a few sites just to see how it goes. But since our key sites include WordPress installations, learning that, "One of the MariaDB Foundation sponsors is Automattic, the company behind WordPress.com" is one reason for some reassurance. However, XenForo only recent fixed a problem with their forum script and MariaDB 10.1, so I'd wait anyway, since we have three XenForo forums.

Peace,
Gene

Back