• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Resolved Messages log not working?

Pleskie

Regular Pleskian
A while ago I upgraded (from version 12.5) to Plesk Onyx.

Today a few times I entered my password wrong by mistake. I wanted to see in the log what exactly happened. So I went to var/log to see the "messages" log. However, this file was empty except this line:

... rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="7.4.7" x-pid="159" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] rsyslogd was HUPed

What does this mean?

Also l see in this same directory that the log "secure" is totally empty.

This doesn't seem alright.

Can anyone tell me what is going on?

Hi Pleskie,

I strongly assume, that you use "systemd", instead of "sysvinit" on your server and if you don't configure your server in a different way, then "rsyslogd" has been replaced with "journalctl".
If you don't like the "Binary log" from journalctl, you just pass it over to "rsyslogd" and you will see log - messages in the old standarts.

Thanks UFHH01

I don't know (yet) what you mean.

I see in the old logs the logging stopped since February 20.

I see this message:

... rsyslogd: [origin software="rsyslogd" swVersion="7.4.7" x-pid="159" x-info="http://www.rsyslog.com"] rsyslogd was HUPed

What does this mean, and whyu did the logging stop?

Is it something that Plesk changed?

I don't know what to do now. Is this a bug? If so, how do I solve this?

Hi Pleskie,

Is it something that Plesk changed?
No.

Is this a bug?
No.

You should consider to inform yourself about "systemd" and "sysvinit" over the documentation of your operating system.
In addition, it might as well help to google the combination: "YOUR-OPERATING-SYSTEM" "systemd" "rsyslogd"

Since the server configuration which log - configuration is used on your server is not at all a Plesk related task, you should consider top open a thread at => Home > Forum > General Discussion > Open Topics

Pretty strange. Why it stopped? :-s

It always worked and I didn't change anything ... opened a new topic on the forum you suggested.

Back