• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Migrate Plesk 12.5 to AWS or DigitalOcean

William Hudson

New Pleskian
I've been running a small VPS using Plesk on hosted servers for some years, but providers are now charging a lot for a decent backup facility. Our previous provider let us do container backups using Virtuozzo for free, which worked fine. But our latest provider isn't using Virtuozzo and wants more than the cost of the VPS per month to provide a similar facility. They've rented us a chunk of local storage to do file copies to, but I have low confidence that we could restore our system directly from this in case of emergency.

So I'm thinking of taking up a cloud service like DigitalOcean or Amazon AWS and running Plesk on there. I gather I can migrate my existing Plesk 12.5 from Ubunto to CentOs if need be, so which would be the best way to go? I am already an AWS customer in a small way (some S3 and Route53 usage - a whole 30 cents a month:) and don't mind learning how to use EC2. But would this be gross overkill? Performance isn't a huge issue for us and we already have a relationship with Amazon (although I've never had to use their support services). On the other hand I've read good things about DigitalOcean. Both serve the UK so that doesn't appear to be an issue. However, I get the impression that Amazon might be better at dealing with large-scale problems like DDOS or data security issues. I like, for example, that AWS now has two-factor authentication for their console.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone with experience of both.

Back