• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Migrate production server to plesk. Needs some advices (centos8 vs debian9)?

nesquick

New Pleskian
Hi there,

After 7 years of using cPanel, i decided to move to plesk. Not because cPanel doesn't work, but i use cPanel with centos6 and in november the centos6 has EOL. Also another fact that push me to move to plesk is the costs. Plesk license cost half of the price of a cPanel license and with this drastic economic changes due to COVID-19, kind of push me to make this migration a lot faster than i intend.

Now, the situation:

1. I got ±1TB of data. What is the fastest way to transfer this accounts to plesk? migrate from a server to another via network i think it will take more than 24h.
Is there a way to plug in the cpanel backup hard drive into plesk server and transfer accounts from there? Since i use a RAID1 array, i could even take out one of the master disks from cpanel server and plug into plesk server.

2. What is the recommended OS for plesk? Debian or CentOS? I know that plesk supports both of them, but what is your personal opinion? I know both OS very well. I'm a linux user since 2001 so changing between distros is not a problem. centos has 10years support for a version and you cannot update it on the fly, how you do it on debian with a simple apt-get dist-upgrade.
At this moment latest version of plesk supports Centos8 that is a new fresh release (newer kernel) and debian9 that was released in 2017 and this is the last year of support. It will receive only the security updates from now on. What i know is that i can easily upgrade to debian10 once plesk support it.

I also made some tests on my virtualbox with 2VM's one with centos8 and the other with debian9. On both i have installed and configured plesk identically and i don't know if is a placebo efect but, i guess that the debian was a little bit faster.

For the moment this are my 2 questions. I plan to start the migration over the weekend so i will kindly appreciate fast answers.

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
1. You can only migrate from the cPanel over the network. Direct transfer of data from disk to disk is not possible, unfortunately.

2. Support for Debian 10 is still under development and I cannot say how long it will last. Plesk supports some options for distupgrades, but it is still unknown whether distupgrade to Debian 10 will be supported. Therefore, I would advise you to choose CentOS 8, as the most modern of the supported operating systems.

Thank you very much for your fast answer IgorG.

I also have another question on my vm i try to migrate a domain for testing purpose only and i see that the ftp users are renamed from [email protected] to user_domain.com . Is there a way to make the username of ftp accounts to have the same name on plesk ( [email protected] ).

Thank you!

In Plesk you can't use @ symbol in FTP username, therefore you can't use such names.

Is there a way to plug in the cpanel e into plesk server and transfer accounts from there? Since i use a RAID1 array, i could even take out one of the master disks from cpanel server and plug into plesk server.

Last edited:
Back