• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Question Migrating from Centminmod to Plesk Obsidian on a Dedicated Hetzner Server

hotdog

New Pleskian
Server operating system version
None yet
Plesk version and microupdate number
None yet
Thanks for your time in advance and for offering me guidance.

I currently have a dedicated server with Hetzner, that is set up using Centminmod. The server has 3 IPs, one primary one, and 2 additional ones.

I am planning on getting a new dedicated server, also with Hetzner. This time I'm considering moving to Plesk Obsidian.

Hetzner provides a feature where you can buy a new dedicated server, and have it exist in parallel operation while you move your data from the old server to the new server. Then once are you finished with that, you contact Hetzner's tech support and they will move the new server in place of the old server, and at this point the new server takes on all the IPs from the old server, i.e. the IP addresses remain the same.

The new server, before the switch, will have a temporary IP address, which will go away after the switch (when the old server's IP addresses are moved to the new server).

I have a few websites with the old server, email and DNS are handled by a third party service.

Would below be how I should approach this? I would like to use MariaDB on Plesk.
  • Get the new server with Plesk pre-installed, the new server will have 1 temporary IP
  • Back up the databases and files on the old server, move these backups to the new server
  • Create matching databases on Plesk, import the database backups from the old server
  • Create domains on Plesk
  • Decompress the old server's file backups, put them in the Plesk-created vhost directories
At this point Plesk's primary IP I guess will be the temporary IP, as well as the domains'. And I guess I can't access the domains on the new server yet, because the old server is still in existence and DNS points there.

So, then the server switch happens.
  • Hetzner recommends that just before the server switch, you change the network config of the new server so that the old server's IP addresses will be set in the new server. I can do this with KVM.
  • Hetzner moves the new server in place of the old server, old server is permanently turned off and dismantled
  • Now the new server should work and be accessible using the old server's IPs
How about Plesk, though? Does Plesk's IPs automatically update after such a change in network config? What will be Plesk's primary IP, since the server will now have moved from the temporary IP to the 3 IPs from the old server.

I will also need to create a couple subscriptions because I want two domains to have unique IPs, and apparently you can't have two separate IPv4s for two domains in one subscription, so 1 IPv4 per subscription.

What do you think? Will my plan work? Am I missing something? Any tips or tricks I should be aware of?

Finally, a bonus question: what distro should I choose for the new Plesk server? I don't have a strict preference for any one distro myself.

Do you want to keep the current IP addresses you are using with your 'old' server? If not, then this seems like a lot of work for what looks to me as just a simple migration. How many websites do have running on the server?

Finally, a bonus question: what distro should I choose for the new Plesk server? I don't have a strict preference for any one distro myself.
Whatever distro you are most confirmable with. But if it really doesn't matter you, I'd go for Alma or Debian because of their LTS.

Back