• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

migrating from shared to vps using Plesk?

C

christopher9452

I am hosting at HostMySite.com on a shared server. As I want more security, database
usage, and control over what gets spidered/crawled in my file structure, I am migrating
to a VPS that uses Virtuozzo and Plesk on Fedora.

I currently have 7 domains that all point to the same ipAddress. I use an index.php
that sends the web user to the correct index.htm inside any of one of seven associated
directories (each dedicated to a domain). They are all mine, non-profit, and basically
used for a logical partitioning, which I intend to extend via sets of associated
user groups when, if ever, I get migrated to the VPS.

The hosting company keeps telling me that "it's easy" and never gives
me any stepwise support. I just joined the SWSoft Forum so I can get help. I've
maintained Solaris, SunOS, HP-UX, and NT QA-group platforms that were networked
oon a test suite and that used a common test suite each test run would check out
of a version control area. I am naive, however, when it comes to getting my first
user/group/mail_account/domain set up.

I run into some problems that apeear to be 'out-of-order' as when Plesk's Add a New Client expects an ipAddress, et. al. for it to use. However, I cannot add a domain without a user name/password. It appears as a Catch-22.

I keep asking HostMySite the files that Plesk touches when adding a user, group, domain, ipAddress as I'd rather get the first one done via SSH. However, will Plesk show those 'power-user' changes when it is used.

I want to associate users in groups able to only access the area inside its associated domain directories. That also protects fiiles from spidering and crawlers, unless opened up to them.

Can someone guide me through the stepwise of adding all 7 of my domains to the 1 ipAddress of my VPS? I also want to create groups around each domain and users within those groups.

Thanks,
christopher94523

thanks,
Chris Gray
christopher94523 (is my forum user name)
[email protected]
Pleasant Hill, CA 94523 USA

Back