• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Migration from 8.0.1 to 10.3.0 problem

D

DPigeon

I am trying to migrate the domains hosted on an old Plesk 8.0.1 server to a new server running Plesk version 10.3.0. I start the Plesk Migration Manager on the new server with all the required information, but during "host information retrieval" an error occurs:

Error: pmm utility 'migration_handler' raised an exception. Error code is: 1
See pmmcli.log to find out detailed information on this

Checking the pmmcli.log file on the destination server, I see from the debugging messages it is trying to read the file dump.xml, but there is an error message: "no object found". This is because the dump.xml file is size 0, an empty file. Therefore there are no objects to read. It seems dump.xml is supposed to contain information gathered from the source server.

On the source server, I look at the migration.result file in the directory where the migration agent was uploaded, and it contains only an xml error message "unable to create dump".

However, there is no further information or debugging message I can find on why it is unable to create the dump on the source server. Does anyone know of a command I could run to find out what is happening, or what the migration agent is trying to do when it creates the dump.xml on the source server?

I have tried looking at the Perl code for the migration agent, but it is difficult to make any sense of it.

Thank you for the prompt response.

Yes, I had considered upgrading the old server before attempting the migration, but several things stopped me. One is that the old server is FreeBSD 5.4, somewhat customized, which was itself upgraded from Plesk 7.5 to 8.0.1 in the past, with many patches and upgrades on top of that. I was concerned that I would end up breaking something beyond repair. I have a full backup of course, but restoring would be difficult.

Anyway, I found the problem with the Plesk Migration Manager that was preventing it from executing properly. I did this by trying to create the dump manually with

./PleskX.pl --dump-all

on the source server, in the directory where the agent was uploaded.

It reported two errors, that "ulimit" was not found, and bad flags for the "df" command. The agent tries to execute these external commands to determine how much disk space is available for the migration. These errors occured because the PMM agent assumes that the source server is Linux, with bash as a root shell. In my case the source server is FreeBSD with csh as the root shell. The "ulimit" command is not a builtin for csh, and the "df" command in FreeBSD does not support the -B flag. Modifying the perl code in the PMM agent, in HelpFuncs.pm and CommonConfig.pm to change the way those shell commands are executed seemed to work.

The migration appears to be successful. There is a minor error about an SSL certificate, and a bad user name, both of which I can fix manually.

Thank you for details! I hope it will be useful for someone who has Plesk on FreeBSD.

I just ran into the same issue, and indeed managed to fix it by editting HelpFuncs.pm.

Does this mean it is officially not supported anymore to upgrade from FreeBSD servers?

In addition, on FreeBSD it does not accurately detect that rsync IS installed.

Hello forum,

I am having a rather general question, on how to migrate from one old physical server with Suse 9.3 (64bit) and Plesk 8.0.1 to a current Suse 11.3 with Plesk 10. All this is being hosted as rootservers in some 1and1 datacenters, and they sold the Plesk/Suse9.3 back then, which is very outdated by now and needs to be moved to the new 11.3 machine.

Unfortunately I never did a Plesk migration before, and the huge step from 8.0.1 to some 10.x version might pose problems, that I havent fully understood yet.

At the moment I have:
psa-8.0.1-suse9.3.build80060614.16

Unfortunately 1and1 cant even say if I can run a current Plesk 10.x on the Suse 11.3 as they officially support only some CentOS 5 with Plesk 10 (no real Versions numbers given), but they told me that I am free to use the once activated and handed out Plesk license number on my own with suse 11.3, as the license number is tied to the IP address or so.

Anyways, my actual question is now, what is the best way, some rough rundowns on what documentation I can look at) for not messing up the old and still running suse 9.3 with plesk psa 8.0.1, to bring its contents over to suse 11.3 with more current plesk 10.x

What scripts or what functions do I need to run on the old Plesk, what files does it create, and what do I do on the new Plesk. I read so many different variations on the web of commandline scripts manually to be executed, or needing the old 8.0.x Plesk first upgrade to 8.6, then upgrade to 9.x and then to 10.x and so on, which is of course no real option for me as I dont want to mess up the old working server.

Any means to create some backup packed userdata files, and then move them over to the new Plesk 10 machine, and import and work them there?

Thanks for pointers and rough description of steps. I can hopefully figure it out.
Regards.

Hello,
okay, thanks for the quick reply, I have found those documents just earlier as well.
When I have taken these first analytical steps, where do I continue then, if the old plesk data qualifies for an upgrade to 10.x.

Regards.

Back