• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

migration from 9.5 to 10 keeps failing with user already exists error

Rollback the workaround

# mv /usr/sbin/chpasswd.orig /usr/sbin/chpasswd
Try the attached usermng - it should fix this properly.

Attachments

• usermng.gz
    66.2 KB · Views: 8
something is wrong with the attachement. I can't execute it

s7:~/tmp$ gunzip usermng.gz
s7:~/tmp$ ls -la us*
-rw-r--r-- 1 sk sk 44094 2010-12-09 13:40 usermng
s7:~/tmp$ chmod ago+x usermng
s7:~/tmp$ ./usermng
bash: ./usermng: cannot execute binary file

Seems 44094 size is for gzipped file. Try to unpack it one more time and check ELF with file command.

it was indeed double gziped. I managed to replace the file and did a new migration, but I'm afraid with the same problem

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<execution-result status="success"><object name="DOMAIN" type="domain"><object name="DOMAIN" type="hosting"><message code="ExecCmd::ExFailed" severity="error"><context>void plesk::ExecCmd::reportError() const</context><file>ExecCmd.cpp</file><line>49</line><text>Execution of /opt/psa/admin/plib/api-cli/domain.php --update DOMAIN -hosting true -hst_type phys -ip IPADDERESS -www-root httpdocs -webstat webalizer -err_docs true -login USERNAME -passwd -hard_quota 419430400 failed with return code 1.
Stdout is
WARNING: Option "-hard_quota" is ignored: hard disk quota is not supported
Stderr is
An error occurred during domain update: error in hosting updating: Unable to update hosting settings: system user update is failed: Unable to create system user: usermng: PAM password change failed: 24, Failed preliminary check by password service
</text></message></object><message code="ExecCmd::ExFailed" severity="error"><context>void plesk::ExecCmd::reportError() const</context><file>ExecCmd.cpp</file><line>49</line><text>Execution of /opt/psa/admin/plib/api-cli/domain.php --update DOMAIN -hosting true -hst_type phys -ip IPADDRESS -www-root httpdocs -login USERNAME -passwd -hard_quota 419430400 failed with return code 1.
Stdout is
WARNING: Option "-hard_quota" is ignored: hard disk quota is not supported
Stderr is
An error occurred during domain update: error in hosting updating: Unable to update hosting settings: system user update is failed: Unable to create system user: usermng: PAM password change failed: 24, Failed preliminary check by password service
</text></message></object></execution-result>

Probably, there is some other issue, in addition to that bug. I can recommend you to reset the system users' passwords on the domain as a workaround. It's success or failure will help to narrow the possible cause.
Meanwhile, we will continue the investigation.

whow!!! I changed the ftp username, the ftp password and the domain admin password, and it worked like a charm!! I don't know which change of all did the trick, but it must have been the ftp password. All the other changes were rolled back to the original installation (usermng etc)

This came at the right moment because I've only 3 days left to finish the migration and I had already started to manually transfer the problematic domains.

Thank you Igor for all the support.

I am migrating from 7.5.4 to 10.0.1 Centos 5.5 32bit and I am getting the "PAM password change failed: 24, Failed preliminary check by password service" I've attempted adding a user normally and get the same error.

I have tried repairing the pam module which doesn't change anything.

Any pointers?

well, I got these PAM errors only after replacing some files with "fixed" versions Igor gave me. So your problem seems to be totally different than mine. As noted in my previous post, I had just to change the password in the original server, and then it got transfered.

I have problem "PAM password change failed: 24, Failed preliminary check by password service" on migration account from cPanel 11 to Plesk 10.0.1.
My solve: manual run '/usr/local/psa/admin/plib/api-cli/domain.php --update DOMAIN -hosting true -hst_type phys -ip IPADDRESS -login LOGIN -passwd PASSHASH' on temporary directory (/usr/local/psa/PMM/var/20110118114300877). Untar file docroot_1101181145.tar on user`s home httpdocs and change owner/group.

Back