• If you are still using CentOS 7.9, it's time to convert to Alma 8 with the free centos2alma tool by Plesk or Plesk Migrator. Please let us know your experiences or concerns in this thread:
    CentOS2Alma discussion

Migration Manager created skeleton dirs/files

B

bazing

I just migrated over 200 domains from Plesk 2.5 to Plesk 8.0 using the Migration Manager.

Once the domains were moved over, I noticed that the Migration Manager created the default skeleton directories and files (i.e. css dir, test dir, img dir, index.html, etc.).

We will now have to remove all the domains, upload a new skeleton (with nothing in it), migrate again, then restore the default skeleton (or create our own).

My suggstion: don't create any extra files when migrating, or allow the migrator to opt 'yes' or 'no'

If I screwed something up and could have migrated without creating these extra files/dirs, please advise!

--

FYI: If someone is going to create a custom skeleton to show the name of the domain is being hosted by "your company", try the following:

If allow PHP in your hosting:

1. create index.php
2. add the following PHP code:
- to show only domain.tld (without www.): <?php echo str_replace('www.', '', $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME']) ?>
- to show whatever the visitor browses to: <?php echo $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME']) ?>

If only allowing .html files, use JavaScript:
Code:
<script type="text/javascript">

// if visitor browses to [url]www.domain.tld[/url]
// and you don't want the [url]www.[/url] shown, set to 'no'
var keep_www = '';

// leave the rest
var url = location.href;

// clean up http: and slashes "/"

url = url.replace('http:', '');
url = url.replace('//', '');
url = url.replace('/', '');

if (keep_www != 'yes') url = url.replace('www.', '');

document.write(url);

</script>

Migration from 2.5 to 8.0.1

Hello,

I have seen that bazing has already used the PMM, and as far as I can see with differents results, better than mine.

I tried to migrate from Plesk 2.5 to Plesk 8.0.1. Plesk 8.0.1 has a box where you can select from all the Plesk versions (2.x,6,7,8). After passing the first two steps, it comes up with an error message saying that there is an error either on the domain name or on the client name.

I looked into the migration.log file, but unfortunately there is no further information...

Shall I do anything else on the Plesk 2.5 Server before migrate to the other server (Plesk 8.0.1).?

Thanks in advance.
Best Regards

Back